Jeffrey Epstein charged

Grandma Bates

Only mostly banned....
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
Yes
SLU Posts
The fallout of Jeffrey Epstein's association with MIT's Media Lab continues. Some email exchanges regarding Marvin Minsky at MIT became public, and Richard Stallman has resigned from MIT and resigned from the Fee Software Foundation:

Richard Stallman leaves MIT after controversial remarks on rape

His awkwardness and outright creepy behaviour around women are now legendary. At the same time his views on copyright and information shaped a generation of people in technology including myself. Sadly, he was burdened by a glacially slow rate of change for his own personal growth, and he has become a caricature of himself.

I was at Stallman's presentation in 2004 at Utah State University, and for the first hour I thought he was an unbridled genius. Somewhere in the next 90 minutes the followed it slowly dawned on me that he may also be barking mad. The last time I saw him was at an address he made in 2014, and his spark and passion was gone. (He spent part of the time picking dead skin off of his bare feet while on stage incorhently dissing Linus Torvolds.) He was a sad shadow of the visionary that created a movement. He is a man who worked to insure that computer code can be shared while also tirelessly working to keep his personal information private. He did not fare well when the light was shown on him.

Last edited:

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
The fallout of Jeffrey Epstein's association with MIT's Media Lab continues. Some email exchanges regarding Marvin Minsky at MIT became public, and Richard Stallman has resigned from MIT and resigned from the Fee Software Foundation:

Richard Stallman leaves MIT after controversial remarks on rape

His awkwardness and outright creepy behaviour around women are now legendary. At the same time his views on copyright and information shaped a generation of people in technology including myself. Sadly, he was burdened by a glacially slow rate of change for his own personal growth, and he has become a caricature of himself.

I was at Stallman's presentation in 2004 at Utah State University, and for the first hour I thought he was an unbridled genius. Somewhere in the next 90 minutes the followed it slowly dawned on me that he may also be barking mad. The last time I saw him was at an address he made in 2014, and his spark and passion was gone. (He spent part of the time picking dead skin off of his bare feet while on stage incorhently dissing Linus Torvolds.) He was a sad shadow of the visionary that created a movement. He is a man who worked to insure that computer code can be shared while also tirelessly working to keep his personal information private. He did not fare well when the light was shown on him.

RMS is, well, RMS.

He has to give systems managers nightmares. He famously sets the password of his accounts to the return key.

• 1Scared
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
RMS is, well, RMS.

He has to give systems managers nightmares. He famously sets the password of his accounts to the return key.
Well he's a full blown fanatic for sure. He maintains a list of wishes and recommendations if you do plan to invite him to deliver a speech, which is hosted here on Github: ddol/rre-rms

Most stuff is normal, but some stuff is really weird; for example he prefers to sleep on a couch somewhere instead in a hotel room (line 575 - 582).

He is quite temperature sensible.

And he's got a love for parrots: "If you can find a host for me that has a friendly parrot, I will be
very very glad. If you can find someone who has a friendly parrot I
can visit with, that will be nice too.

DON'T buy a parrot figuring that it will be a fun surprise for me. To
acquire a parrot is a major decision: it is likely to outlive you. If
you don't know how to treat the parrot, it could be emotionally
scarred and spend many decades feeling frightened and unhappy. If you
buy a captured wild parrot, you will promote a cruel and devastating
practice, and the parrot will be emotionally scarred before you get it.
Meeting that sad animal is not an agreeable surprise."

Dinner with more than 4 people he considers as a meeting. And so on and on, just read it, it is a very interesting and sometimes strange read.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Well he's a full blown fanatic for sure. He maintains a list of wishes and recommendations if you do plan to invite him to deliver a speech, which is hosted here on Github: ddol/rre-rms

Most stuff is normal, but some stuff is really weird; for example he prefers to sleep on a couch somewhere instead in a hotel room (line 575 - 582).

He is quite temperature sensible.

And he's got a love for parrots: "If you can find a host for me that has a friendly parrot, I will be
very very glad. If you can find someone who has a friendly parrot I
can visit with, that will be nice too.

DON'T buy a parrot figuring that it will be a fun surprise for me. To
acquire a parrot is a major decision: it is likely to outlive you. If
you don't know how to treat the parrot, it could be emotionally
scarred and spend many decades feeling frightened and unhappy. If you
buy a captured wild parrot, you will promote a cruel and devastating
practice, and the parrot will be emotionally scarred before you get it.
Meeting that sad animal is not an agreeable surprise."

Dinner with more than 4 people he considers as a meeting. And so on and on, just read it, it is a very interesting and sometimes strange read.
Wow!

None of the people I know that do keynotes have a list anywhere near as long as that! Nonkeynote speaking not at all. The most I have seen any keynote speaker do is a webpage with some basic information (contact info, possible topics, maybe a link to their schedule, stuff like that). I am guessing more stuff is on the list to be discussed when booking a speaker but nowhere near that level of detail, for example you do not need to decide restaurant stuff in advance. Some of his requirements are a bit .... well, out there too. Like the streaming formats, I guess no posting it to youtube or any other major hosting platform then.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Well the data formats being used make sense, when you do consider who RMS is and what he is against - software patents. So of course he finds it offensive when you are using patent encumbered data formats like MP3 or GIF (in former times).

This also explains his stance against "open source" - because that is not what he was/is fighting for, and this term was a reaction to him and his movement, it is not his creation. His thing is free software, to which "open source" is just a mediocre abomination at its best. This is also explains why he dislikes Linux distributions with closed blobs/parts - but it does not explain the parrot. :)

Anyway, it could be a good idea when RMS is delivering a speech to equip him with some snacks in reach, because otherwise he's got his own disgusting supply always with him as you can see below; then again there might be times he does not care at all and still prefers his own homegrown foot food supply over anything else because it is so tasty.

Last edited:

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Well the data formats being used make sense, when you do consider who RMS is and what he is against - software patents. So of course he finds it offensive when you are using patent encumbered data formats like MP3 or GIF (in former times).

This also explains his stance against "open source" - because that is not what he was/is fighting for, and this term was a reaction to him and his movement, it is not his creation. His thing is free software, to which "open source" is just a mediocre abomination at its best. This is also explains why he dislikes Linux distributions with closed blobs/parts - but it does not explain the parrot. :)

Anyway, it could be a good idea when RMS is delivering a speech to equip him with some snacks in reach, because otherwise he's got his own disgusting supply always with him as you can see below; then again there might be times he does not care at all and still prefers his own homegrown foot food supply over anything else because it is so tasty.

True, but it is pretty standard for cons to upload their talks to youtube.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
I know. Maybe he considers himself to be something like a street musician - when you do view them live it's a magical atmosphere. When you film them all of that magic is lost.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I know. Maybe he considers himself to be something like a street musician - when you do view them live it's a magical atmosphere. When you film them all of that magic is lost.
He would flip his lid at a talk I am thinking about that uses the word hacker a lot. It would take the hacker ethic (as stated in 'hackers', which talked to RMS a LOT) and restate things a bit using philosophy and other stuff.

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
I didn't watch the Prince Andrew interview but from the clips and comments it seems to be an absolute car crash.

Here Prince Paedo explains how accusations against him can't be true because he is described as sweating and at that time he was medically incapable of sweating because he'd overdosed on his own adrenaline when he was shot at in the Falklands but thanks to certain actions he's taken since he can now sweat again.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

And here it is, or at least in part -- I've not yet read it myself:

ETA: And now I have.

Oh good God. Whatever was he thinking of?

I've seen that sort of exchange before, many times -- generally during the prosecution's cross-examination of the defendant in a trial concerning a sexual assault said to have taken place many years previously.

Usually things did not go well for the defendant after a performance like that.

Last edited:

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I caught a few clips of the highlights, if you can call them that, in which Prince Andrew reinforces his image as an arrogant, stupid upper-class twat. His framing of Epstein's sex crimes as "a manner unbecoming", explaining his own actions as coming from an excess of "honour" and admitting he "let our side down" reveal just how deeply he lives in a royal bubble of privilege and class-bound morality. It was a disgusting display of vanity.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
From The Times (Evernote because £wall)

ETA: and ftom The Guardian

Last edited: