2020 Presidential Election Calendar

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
This handy reference covers both presidential debates and primaries. I must admit that I've stopped watching the debates, since I don't find the format all that useful, beyond seeing how a candidate reacts under pressure. I'm more focused on seeing primary results, so Iowa on Feb. 3 is the day that has my attention.

Last edited:

danielravennest

SLU Posts
This handy reference covers both presidential debates and primaries. I must admit that I've stopped watching the debates, since I don't find the format all that useful, beyond seeing how a candidate reacts under pressure. I'm more focused on seeing primary results, so Iowa on Feb. 3 is the day that has my attention.

I keep an eye on candidate polling, to see who is rising vs falling, and who can be ignored (basically anyone at 2% or less by now has no chance). I also like to see candidate vs Trump matchups. Who has the best chance to defeat Trump is of interest, regardless of how I feel about their policies.

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
I keep an eye on candidate polling, to see who is rising vs falling, and who can be ignored (basically anyone at 2% or less by now has no chance). I also like to see candidate vs Trump matchups. Who has the best chance to defeat Trump is of interest, regardless of how I feel about their policies.
I actually don't agree with this. We're ahead of the time that anything was sorted out in any other presidential election. I'll wait and see who takes the first few primaries.

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
I will confess that I'm only reading headlines about the Clinton-Gabbard-Russian-asset scuffle, because it all strikes me as tawdry and petty. I find Clinton's accusation to be distracting even if true, and appalling if she doesn't have some iron-clad evidence. We just don't need this right now, when it's a hard enough sell to point out the Trump administration's involvement with Russia.

My prediction is that Gabbard will come out ahead in this mess, although not enough to make any substantive difference, which renders it all pointless. It's unlikely to lose Gabbard support because she didn't have much to begin with, but she's gained a spotlight, which gives her more of a platform from which to speak. Being attacked by Clinton will immediately gain her sympathizers just from the reflexive "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" reaction.

I don't have a dog in this fight because, frankly, I don't like either one of them, but it's an ugly disturbance at a time when the Dems can't afford to make any mistakes. What the fuck was Clinton thinking?

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
I don't have a dog in this fight because, frankly, I don't like either one of them, but it's an ugly disturbance at a time when the Dems can't afford to make any mistakes. What the fuck was Clinton thinking?
I doubt she realizes how many people really hate her now. The campaign to vilify her didn't end at the election. It continued and got worse as time went along. A lot of democrats who were for her (if not glowingly so) back in 2016 now speak of her as if she's evil incarnate. She probably thought she was helping things. But, she's a smart woman who should know better.

• 1Disagree
Reactions: Free

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
A lot of democrats who were for her (if not glowingly so) back in 2016 now speak of her as if she's evil incarnate.
I've never understood that level of vitriol, but it's an undeniable part of the political landscape. When I say I don't like Clinton, that's on par with not being that fond of Biden either. Mostly I don't care for their capitalist-friendly perspective, and partly I just find their personalities grating for my sensibilities, but I would/could/have voted for Clinton in primaries and elections. And I will vote for Biden against Trump without any qualms whatsoever.

But for Clinton to utter such a loaded charge against Gabbard seems atypical for someone who is politically savvy. I'm mystified by her motivations for that, not invested enough in this to try to figure it all out, so I guess I'm just annoyed that Clinton is muddying the waters taking potshots at a marginal candidate. It's punching down, too, which rubs me the wrong way. I don't see any sign that Gabbard was starting to make waves and needed to be neutralized, regardless of whether that was from a nefarious or honorable motivation.

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
But for Clinton to utter such a loaded charge against Gabbard seems atypical for someone who is politically savvy. I'm mystified by her motivations for that, not invested enough in this to try to figure it all out, so I guess I'm just annoyed that Clinton is muddying the waters taking potshots at a marginal candidate. It's punching down, too, which rubs me the wrong way. I don't see any sign that Gabbard was starting to make waves and needed to be neutralized, regardless of whether that was from a nefarious or honorable motivation.
To be honest, Clinton didn't say anything that I wasn't already wondering about. It just seemed safer not to say it here for fairly obvious reasons. If you can remember - Trump wasn't a player at this point in the last election cycle, either. We're still at "anybody's game" - it just doesn't feel like it because of the intense scrutiny over the candidates and the debates so far.

I think its important to remember that even if a candidate is unwitting and not actively participating in a Russian influence campaign, they still could be placed in a position to either cement Trump's re-election or even worse - win and then be immediately "unmasked" when the Russians admit to the fix. Putin isn't done with us yet, not by a long mile.

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
I think its important to remember that even if a candidate is unwitting and not actively participating in a Russian influence campaign, they still could be placed in a position to either cement Trump's re-election or even worse - win and then be immediately "unmasked" when the Russians admit to the fix. Putin isn't done with us yet, not by a long mile.
Agreed on all points, I just think that even if Clinton's accusation is correct, she has helped Gabbard more than hurt her, and created tension in the campaign that was wholly unnecessary. There were a lot of signs that Trump was reaching Republican and Independent voters that the corporate media missed, but I don't think Gabbard was striking those same chords with the Dem base. And I can't see that she could have mounted a 3rd-party venture of any weight, but Clinton may have tipped that option MORE in Gabbard's favor. It's an unforced error and Clinton isn't even running this time. Sheesh.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I actually don't agree with this. We're ahead of the time that anything was sorted out in any other presidential election. I'll wait and see who takes the first few primaries.
Thing is, I'm a paid member of the local Democratic Party, so sorting things out is partly my responsibility. Not just candidates, but policies. That will work its way up from the county party to the State, and eventually the national platform. I want to help flip Georgia blue. Who is at the top of the ticket and what policies they support will matter for that goal.

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Thing is, I'm a paid member of the local Democratic Party, so sorting things out is partly my responsibility. Not just candidates, but policies. That will work its way up from the county party to the State, and eventually the national platform. I want to help flip Georgia blue. Who is at the top of the ticket and what policies they support will matter for that goal.
I think you've got a good shot at Georgia in the absence of further voter suppression and tampering. Is your group working on that aspect of things, as well?

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I doubt she realizes how many people really hate her now. The campaign to vilify her didn't end at the election. It continued and got worse as time went along. A lot of democrats who were for her (if not glowingly so) back in 2016 now speak of her as if she's evil incarnate. She probably thought she was helping things. But, she's a smart woman who should know better.
A lot of people who were openly begging Warren, or even Biden, to run in 2016 now speak of both as evil incarnate compared to their candidate of preference. I've watched people - Sanders fans, usually - say that Elizabeth Warren for example would be worse for the US than a second Trump term, and it's just astonishing to me that people can actually believe that.

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
If Sanders won the 2020 election, they'd turn on him when he didn't walk on water and perform legislative miracles. There's a really exaggerated view of what a president can realistically do, especially when Congress is held by an opposing party such as Obama had to deal with. The demands of the office seem to keep growing as the world gets more complicated. I really wonder if any one person can handle the job anymore.

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I think you've got a good shot at Georgia in the absence of further voter suppression and tampering. Is your group working on that aspect of things, as well?
Georgia recently passed an automatic voter registration law. For example, when I renewed by Driver's license this summer, it would have registered me if I weren't already. Despite that, some people will be missed, so part of our effort is to catch people who slipped through the cracks. We're supposed to be replacing our all-electronic voting machines for ones with a paper trail. An eye will need to be kept on the process, to make sure it happens.

Atlanta is growing by about 75,000 people a year, which is making the state more diverse and more liberal. Essentially all the migration into the state is going into this area, and about 35% of those new residents are immigrants.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Moving from the 1st-in-the nation primary state to a tossup state to the last-in-the-nation primary state (and has only had a presidential vote since the 50s and nada on capitol hill yet) has given me a bit of political whiplash.