WTF Youtube demonetizing videos where LGBT related words are used

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Youtube is removing monetization from videos with LGBT related words, then reinstating funding when the words go away.

Boingboing Article
People have been reporting that for awhile. Reuploading with different keywords and such.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Who can blame them? Try pronouncing LGBT. Ligbit, but those extra i's. LGBTQIA. Why not make it LGBTQIACDEFHJKMNOPRSUVWXYZ and include everybody? At the ending is pronounceable. Quia. Why is it that when everything has to be pc it has to be long and unpronounceable? I worked for years in an institution that was then called for the retarded. OK, I get it that doesn't sound great but now it's for people with developmental disabilities? How many syllables is that? Then there is African Americans instead of blacks. Well that isn't really accurate since people from South America or the Caribbean are not "African" Americans. This post will probably piss people off but in my opinion it is just ridiculous. If it's necessary to come up with names that are politically correct can we come up with something that doesn't take a mouthful to pronounce?

• 1Facepalm
  • 1RuPaul
Reactions: Govi and Free
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Free Reacted with the RuPaul emoticon. That would be a lot shorter than LGBTQIACDEFHJKMNOPRSUVWXYZ so I approve.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Try 'queer.'
I'm pretty sure there would be a lot of people who would be as offended by that as calling Developmentally disabled people as retarded.

• 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Free

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I'm pretty sure there would be a lot of people who would be as offended by that as calling Developmentally disabled people as retarded.
First, no u. Second,

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Oh whatever Free. An eyeroll without even a comment on why. You have more comments than anyone on VVO and just give an eyeroll. It's dumb.

• 1Flower
  • 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Govi and Ashiri

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Oh whatever Free. An eyeroll without even a comment on why. You have more comments than anyone on VVO and just give an eyeroll. It's dumb.
Comparing the words queer and retarded is retarded.

Enough comment for ya?

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Trump. Trump fatigued. People still give a damn, but they're ... just ... so ... damned ... tired ... now.
That is a problem. He insults pretty much everything so often with so much vitriol (and usually over the top) that you wind up putting a lot of energy into defending each topic. You can not just say 'xyz is offensive' and move on with what you were doing before. Still though, just because he and his minions have given up on basic decency does not mean the rest of us should.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Soen Eber

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
I sometimes piss Tigress off when I refer ta maiself as a Fag. “I hate that word!” She says.

“You can hate it, I hate the word ‘nigger’, but the rap community is taking it back and good on them.”
I’m takin’ back Fag.

• 1Like
Reactions: Kalel

OrinB

tutti fruitti
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
I prefer the word inclusive! or just plain human! Works for me!

• 1RuPaul
Reactions: Free

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
YouTube has been responding to the public outrage machine against controversial people on their platform with censorship of anything that seems controversial, and apparently LGBTQ terms have fallen into that net. Frequently if you discuss things like war, or controversial topics in the news, the videos get de-monetized and creators have to fight (and often lose) YouTube to get the videos re-monetized.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
The problem we are witnessing here is what we'll get when we let an AI decide on such things. AIs are wonderful, because they are black boxes and so far nobody really understands how their inner workings exactly goes around, if anything wants wrong nobody is responsible, because nobody knows exactly what the AI is doing or not when.

An algorithm is a set of rules which you do apply to a problem to get the wanted result. If a problem is too difficult to grasp to come up with an algorithm, then people do use AI which is nothing else that you've got a problem plus expected result, but you do need a set of rules to work upon it. That's then the neural network.

And that's the problem with Youtube: of course it uses automatisms, and I won't be surprised if it would also use AI. But AI is only as good as being trained, and a trained network only solves the problem it was trained on, nothing more, e.g. a voice recognition network for "burger" won't be able to detect "wiener" and vice versa.

An AI is not aware, nor does it care about context. It only cares about what it was being trained on, and that's it. And if you do train it on what many peoples are complaining about, well then... such stuff might happen.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Ashiri

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
The problem we are witnessing here is what we'll get when we let an AI decide on such things. AIs are wonderful, because they are black boxes and so far nobody really understands how their inner workings exactly goes around, if anything wants wrong nobody is responsible, because nobody knows exactly what the AI is doing or not when.

An algorithm is a set of rules which you do apply to a problem to get the wanted result. If a problem is too difficult to grasp to come up with an algorithm, then people do use AI which is nothing else that you've got a problem plus expected result, but you do need a set of rules to work upon it. That's then the neural network.

And that's the problem with Youtube: of course it uses automatisms, and I won't be surprised if it would also use AI. But AI is only as good as being trained, and a trained network only solves the problem it was trained on, nothing more, e.g. a voice recognition network for "burger" won't be able to detect "wiener" and vice versa.

An AI is not aware, nor does it care about context. It only cares about what it was being trained on, and that's it. And if you do train it on what many peoples are complaining about, well then... such stuff might happen.
Sometimes what comes out of an AI is a bit awkward. Like when they show a preference for cis male WASPs or things like neo-nazis and conspiracy theories.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer