WTF Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news

Ava Glasgow

Ava Ava hot like lava
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
It's going to get a lot harder for legal immigrants to be allowed in the country and get green cards:

Not only will those who cannot financially support themselves be denied entry, but those who USCIS "predict" may need to rely on public assistance any time in the future - to include Medicaid and food stamps - will be denied entry as well.

He also gutted protection for endangered species today. Wonder what's got him so worried that he's trying to get all his evil done in one day. 🤔

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
Some asshole stabbed a woman in Sydney today and was overwhelmed by some bystanders.

In America, this PoS would have had a high-powered semi-automatic rifle and mowed down dozens of people.

In Australia, a guy with a chair can stop a rampage.

Ban guns and you arm everyone.

Last edited:

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
I'm also pretty damn sure I brought up that exact "use a chair to stop a guy with a knife"-scenario back on SLU before to make that point.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
It's going to get a lot harder for legal immigrants to be allowed in the country and get green cards:

Not only will those who cannot financially support themselves be denied entry, but those who USCIS "predict" may need to rely on public assistance any time in the future - to include Medicaid and food stamps - will be denied entry as well.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Somehow my ancestors made it up these on their own two feet.

(They were probably prior to that, just saying the vetting isn't new.)

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
Has anyone posted this yet? Looks like things may be about to go very very nasty in hong kong.

Chinese state media described the build-up of armed police units, shown in videos gathering at an arena called the Shenzhen Bay Sports Centre, as preparations for “apparent large-scale exercises”. Alexandre Krauss, a policy adviser for the EU’s Committee on Foreign Affairs, called the videos a sign that “something extraordinarily bad is about to happen”.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Somehow my ancestors made it up these on their own two feet.

(They were probably prior to that, just saying the vetting isn't new.)
It may not be new, but I think they mean it will be more stringent. And if racists are doing the vetting, as seems likely with ICE the way it is, and this administration in general?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
It may not be new, but I think they mean it will be more stringent. And if racists are doing the vetting, as seems likely with ICE the way it is, and this administration in general?
Both can be true. I'm not sure I understand the question, though.

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
Has anyone posted this yet? Looks like things may be about to go very very nasty in hong kong.

I haven't posted about it, but I've been following it very closely. I've spent a considerable amount of my adult life in Hong Kong and South China and probably have as many friends there as I have here.

I'm very worried, even though thus far everyone I know is okay. This has been building for months. At one point, demonstrators took over LEGCO, the Hong Kong equivalent of the Capitol building. It seemed to go almost unnoticed in US media. Now they've shut down Hong Kong International Airport two days running, and I fear Big China is losing patience.

This will not end well.

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
I haven't posted about it, but I've been following it very closely. I've spent a considerable amount of my adult life in Hong Kong and South China and probably have as many friends there as I have here.

I'm very worried, even though thus far everyone I know is okay. This has been building for months. At one point, demonstrators took over LEGCO, the Hong Kong equivalent of the Capitol building. It seemed to go almost unnoticed in US media. Now they've shut down Hong Kong International Airport two days running, and I fear Big China is losing patience.

This will not end well.
I think the whole "one country two systems" thing is about to end.

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
I think the whole "one country two systems" thing is about to end.
At any point since 1997 Big China could have sneezed and ended one country two systems. It seems to me that what has saved it is the colossal banking industry in HK -- my understanding (admittedly from biased Hong Kongers) is that that is more or less the entire purpose of having a Special Administrative District, "wishes of the people" be damned. I think the general principle of one country two systems is likely to continue, but one of those systems will look a good deal different.

(For those unfamiliar with the delicate HK situation, it is sort of the Schroedinger's Cat of political science, in that it is simultaneously Definitely China and Emphatically Not China. This paradoxical existence has facilitated the world's largest communist nation's manically enthusiastic engagement in rambunctious capitalism. To many Western minds this is colossal hypocrisy. To the Chinese mind, it's called Best of Both Worlds. It also doesn't hurt that Hong Kong is a world-class port and that there simply aren't any alternative possible ports for South China, but HK could go full commie tomorrow and that water would still be there.)

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
It has been a big news item here in NL the last weeks.
I get the feeling that part of the protesters are loosing their cool and are overplaying their hand the last few days.
Their way of acting on the airport was pretty nasty yesterday.
I think if the city government will call China for help, their forces will be down town before the phone is put down.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Govi and Brenda Archer

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I think if the city government will call China for help, their forces will be down town before the phone is put down.
ACME brand military intervention.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly