Why Can't The World's Greatest Minds Solve The Mystery of Consciousness

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
As for that question of mine about Turing machine, I just threw it out there because I don't know.

One hopes there is such a future.
It wasn't personal or even aimed at what you said, it was just a handy hook to hang what had been a slowly building rant at trying to classify and create "prescriptions" based on guesswork and not on firm emperical knowledge. Any such that attempts to define or redefine or replace absent firm knowledge lays a dangerous groundwork. Case in point: Trump.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I'm kidding you, but strongly disagree that it's subjective. consciousness is the one thing where feeling we have it, proves we have it. I am more certain that I'm conscious than the fact that this message board exists. If our ability to feel our consciousness is subjective, than our ability to know anything and trust our brains exist at all is subjective.
I think you are interpreting the word "subjective" in a non-standard way, because that's basically what subjective means.

You're *this* close to inventing Platonism.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
I think you are interpreting the word "subjective" in a non-standard way, because that's basically what subjective means.

You're *this* close to inventing Platonism.
I agree that most human feelings are subjective. Pain for example is subjective, so is joy. Consciousness is unique, in that it makes no logical sense to be able to think about it without having it.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Which has nothing to do with it being subjective or not.

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
This thread is becoming objectively stupid.
I think discussions about consciousness tends to do that. It's a friggin rabbit hole of a subject.

And there is this terrible word that always seem to crop up: Qualia.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
A cozy café/bar, half a dozen beers, maybe a Havanna sigar (only in countries where smoking in public isn't criminalized like over here) a few friends or a thoughtful bartender...... and most of these problems are solved.
Until next morning that is.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer