Nobody Cares! (Science & Tech Edition)

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
We used to call them Seacrate. I miss Maxtor, they made some NICE drives before they got borged.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I've always preferred Western Digital drives and avoided Seagate whenever possible. Now I know why.
I have both kinds of drives, but I assume that any kind of hard drive can fail, even the nearly 10 year old one in this desktop that's worked perfectly all that time. So anything that's important gets backed up on multiple drives. The more important it is, the more copies I have. One thing I have done is keep the original boxes for both desktops. That way when I move, which I have done a couple of times with these machines, I can pack them properly.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I've always been a WD user so I guess I get to be smug and all; but this is rather important for people to see.

The most important lesson here: They put some of the crappiest crap drives in externals. You're *FAR* better off buying a real (and full-size, not laptop) hard drive and putting it in a seperately bought enclosure.

I have an older Seagate 3.5" 500G Barracuda (NOT generic-ass white-label Seagate) that's still going strong in a Vantec eSata/USB enclosure.

Regardless of brand*, drives eventually die. Expect 3-5 years out of a desktop drive , 2-3 years in a laptop drive. No amount of smug replaces whatever back--up plan you decide to use.

*Though some brands and/or models suck. Pre-Hitachi "Deskstars" being a notable example. "White Label" Seagates and WD "green" are also best avoided. If Seagate, get Barracuda or better, WD, get at least Blue.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Dakota Tebaldi

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
The Solar System, to scale with Earth's Moon being 1 pixel in diameter:

If the Moon Were Only 1 Pixel - A tediously accurate map of the solar system

Note: if your finger gets tired of scrolling, clicking the icon on the bottom right of the screen will begin auto-scrolling at the relative speed of light.

At that rate, it takes five-and-a-half hours, roughly, to reach Pluto (which is not a planet).

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
At that rate, it takes five-and-a-half hours, roughly, to reach Pluto (which is not a planet).
It's now considered a "dwarf planet." Source: "fun fact #4" on this page: Pluto

Related: New Planet Lurking Beyond Pluto | Antarctica Journal

Pluto may have company out there in the Kuiper Belt according to astronomers. They found that a small icy world called Sedna is out there past the planet of Neptune and may have company. This possible small planet known as 2014 UZ224 is about the size of Iowa which is about half the size of Pluto. Located approximately 8.5 billion miles away and twice as far from earth. Scientists have discovered five dwarf planets in the Milky Way – Pluto, Ceres, Eris, Haumea and Makemake. They believe that there may be more out there, about 100 more.

• 1Like