We Are A Harsh Viper's Nest

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
I think most here are very nice to new peeps...unless you waltz into PRS and sling conspiracies. I mean know your audience. I dont usually run into a new community and demand them to entertain me or fight me (ok maybe I do the last one).

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Yall can be kinda prickly to new comers tbh.
I find, for the most part, we are generally friendly and gracious with newcomers. But that said, VVO, and SLU before it, doesn't suffer fools gladly. If you come on here to conduct surveys for some "research" project you're working on, or to spew right-wing bullshit, you're going to get shown the door real quick. Trolls get used as chew toys for a while before they get shown the same exit. But if you come here and make a genuine effort toward being part of our community, we're very accommodating. Basically, you get what you give.

nebula

NOPE
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I find, for the most part, we are generally friendly and gracious with newcomers. But that said, VVO, and SLU before it, doesn't suffer fools gladly. If you come on here to conduct surveys for some "research" project you're working on, or to spew right-wing bullshit, you're going to get shown the door real quick. Trolls get used as chew toys for a while before they get shown the same exit. But if you come here and make a genuine effort toward being part of our community, we're very accommodating. Basically, you get what you give.
No we are not friendly to new comers. I had my perma ban in sl lifted. I had a legitimate shop in sl for a year at this point. I had not griefed for years. Yet when I joined I was met with a ton of animosity.

The one time I expressed political beliefs here, I was jumped on because fiscally I am republican despite voting Democrat at many levels of government because I break from the party if the candidate is the wrong anwser.

My personal experience here has been what a lot of people have expressed. That as a new user it is hard to get past what I feel like is hazing.

Despite this I stayed. Not only did I stay, I have done things like blow the whistel on malicious code on nontpv viewers and other bugs in sl. Years and years ago on slu I found datamining junk in someones avatar image and reported it to chris which he did something about.

So from my experience yeah slu can be kind of rough when joining. And any time I have disagreed with the majority here I get called a troll and relevent arugments or things backed up by proof get ignored.

Lastly I will say if you do stick it out and you try to see every side of everyone's argument then SLU / VVO will embrace you. Because after everything I posted above my political leanings, I am accepted here but the majority. Some people still give me shade or call me a troll for expressing an opinion but I do feel like I belong here. I just think we should give more leeway to new comers. So guys try to just have a little more patience so we can be all inclusive, even to the more prickly people like myself.

• 1Beer
  • 1Meh
Reactions: Clara D. and Sid

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Yeah, if you go on twitter and the like you get all sorts of randos. You come on here and many ppl are pretty deep in at least one field. We are glad to help new people that do not know what they are doing but if they clearly are here to cause trouble we have no problem showing them that we know a bit more than them.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Everyone has a history in some way.
True, although what matters is how much you know about someone's history. For example, I can counter someone's history of past black hat stuff if they are doing white hat stuff now .... but I can not ignore that I know it.

• 1Like
Reactions: nebula

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
No we are not friendly to new comers. I had my perma ban in sl lifted. I had a legitimate shop in sl for a year at this point. I had not griefed for years. Yet when I joined I was met with a ton of animosity.

The one time I expressed political beliefs here, I was jumped on because fiscally I am republican despite voting Democrat at many levels of government because I break from the party if the candidate is the wrong anwser.

My personal experience here has been what a lot of people have expressed. That as a new user it is hard to get past what I feel like is hazing.

Despite this I stayed. Not only did I stay, I have done things like blow the whistel on malicious code on nontpv viewers and other bugs in sl. Years and years ago on slu I found datamining junk in someones avatar image and reported it to chris which he did something about.

So from my experience yeah slu can be kind of rough when joining. And any time I have disagreed with the majority here I get called a troll and relevent arugments or things backed up by proof get ignored.

Lastly I will say if you do stick it out and you try to see every side of everyone's argument then SLU / VVO will embrace you. Because after everything I posted above my political leanings, I am accepted here but the majority. Some people still give me shade or call me a troll for expressing an opinion but I do feel like I belong here. I just think we should give more leeway to new comers. So guys try to just have a little more patience so we can be all inclusive, even to the more prickly people like myself.

I was new once, too. I didn't have that same experience at all. I don't think I've ever been called a troll or been treated "roughly". I mean...we have ALL new at one time.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
/me bumps Shiloh...

nebula

NOPE
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I was new once, too. I didn't have that same experience at all. I don't think I've ever been called a troll or been treated "roughly". I mean...we have ALL new at one time.
I mean I did, and other people apparently also have and have been turned off of slu as a result. Lucia Nightfire, or LuLu as I call her is a dear friend of mine in sl and a very nice person, who in the thread on the sl forms apparently was not treated too nicely by us when they tried to join. She attends all the office hour meetings in sl and helps fix bugs, makes freebies and is all around a good person. So for them to come in, feel harshly judged, and post something very opinioned and negative about us says to me we might want to be a little less hazy and a little kinder in the future. As someone who also had also felt like joining was a bit rough at the start, I think we could be a little nicer to new people. That is all.

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
To be fair...it is hard to judge someone's experience without seeing it. It is possible a "nice" person starts off on a bad foot here...hard to tell without seeing what they posted. But to lay the blame on the community is disingenuous. I've seen nice people post nutty stuff....get what you give ya know. And to be 100%...if VVO is too rough for someone...they might want to stay off the internet at large. This place is a bubble wrapped squishy hug compared to 99% of places I have seen.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Same here. But I was very careful before dipping my toes into PRS.
I had also been posting on a forum where they could get fractious about any forum topic, not just politics; compared to that, even PRS was soft and cuddly, lol.

Last edited:

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I mean I did, and other people apparently also have and have been turned off of slu as a result. Lucia Nightfire, or LuLu as I call her is a dear friend of mine in sl and a very nice person, who in the thread on the sl forms apparently was not treated too nicely by us when they tried to join. She attends all the office hour meetings in sl and helps fix bugs, makes freebies and is all around a good person. So for them to come in, feel harshly judged, and post something very opinioned and negative about us says to me we might want to be a little less hazy and a little kinder in the future. As someone who also had also felt like joining was a bit rough at the start, I think we could be a little nicer to new people. That is all.
SLU had its ups and downs over the years - much of the ugly drama from SL, SL related blogs, Plurk, other forums and elsewhere would spill over onto the site (and that drama was not very welcome). The site was often a target (and me personally) as well. Long time users became wary of people blowing in, starting some inane drama, only later to either flounce or be banned (something I didn't often do, but when I did, it was for a good reason and often resulted in blowback at me - including death threats).

Comparatively, VVO has been very calm. We have had a couple of problem people, including someone who we performed fucking Cirque du Soleil level contortions to accommodate and it was still not enough to keep them from being an asshole and ultimately flouncing. People generally get what they give. If you start out as a dick here, it's going to take a lot for people to embrace you. If your reputation precedes you, people will be wary but will still often give a chance based on what you do here. People are all different - they are not a monolith. Some people just don't like other people, it's part of life.

This is by far the nicest, most generous community I've ever seen anywhere on the Internet, and it is why I kept it going instead of just shutting SLU down and moving on. So I bristle at the notion that we need to navel gaze and be nicer to people because we are all so mean. That's just not true. Can we be snarky and have a low tolerance for bullshit? Fuck yes - I wouldn't have it any other way.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Comparatively, VVO has been very calm. We have had a couple of problem people, including someone who we performed fucking Cirque du Soleil level contortions to accommodate and it was still not enough to keep them from being an asshole and ultimately flouncing.
You must be referring to a certain seasonal leporine. We really gave him every chance in the world to fit in, but it just wasn't in the cards. Granted, we haven't always been exceedingly nice to some who came and left their mark, but, by God, we really tried with this one.

nebula

NOPE
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU had its ups and downs over the years - much of the ugly drama from SL, SL related blogs, Plurk, other forums and elsewhere would spill over onto the site (and that drama was not very welcome). The site was often a target (and me personally) as well. Long time users became wary of people blowing in, starting some inane drama, only later to either flounce or be banned (something I didn't often do, but when I did, it was for a good reason and often resulted in blowback at me - including death threats).

Comparatively, VVO has been very calm. We have had a couple of problem people, including someone who we performed fucking Cirque du Soleil level contortions to accommodate and it was still not enough to keep them from being an asshole and ultimately flouncing. People generally get what they give. If you start out as a dick here, it's going to take a lot for people to embrace you. If your reputation precedes you, people will be wary but will still often give a chance based on what you do here. People are all different - they are not a monolith. Some people just don't like other people, it's part of life.

This is by far the nicest, most generous community I've ever seen anywhere on the Internet, and it is why I kept it going instead of just shutting SLU down and moving on. So I bristle at the notion that we need to navel gaze and be nicer to people because we are all so mean. That's just not true. Can we be snarky and have a low tolerance for bullshit? Fuck yes - I wouldn't have it any other way.
I mean I think it is a lot better than what it was in the past years for sure. People seem a lot less rough around the edges, and more open now but before I would get called a troll just for having a different opinion. Also may have been part of the times, as we did go through shit like red zone, giggles, and the whole king goon data mining their users thing. I have even been guilty years ago of having a short fuse on the slu forms. I just think currently where we are is a lot better, and we should continue to be less prickly to newcomers as what I have seen since slu became VVO is a lot more friendly than SLU was around 2012 ish I think (hard to remember my college years, 3 jobs and low sleep with 4 classes).

Not saying slu was ever bad or anything like that, just that we could drive people away a bit easier back then.

Side note, I am very glad slu did not go away forever and became vvo, as I have made some really great friends here and gotten to respect people who I used to not, just from how they have acted on here.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Shiloh Lyric