Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Jeremy Hunt, runner up for Tory leadership, has a plan:

And a short poll after the tv debate between Johnson and Hunt:

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
Having a plan at all is actually really impressive in this context. I'm not even trying to joke or be sarcastic. I wish I was.

For those who don't want to read the whole thing, here's a quick summary:
  • Spend two months doing three years worth of preparation for no deal
  • Assemble a team with representatives of all Tory fractions plus DUP to negotiate a new withdrawal agreement (Presumably they're going to negotiate with each other - they'll need that and besides, there are nobody else to negotiate with)
  • Sneak in a big tax cut for the rich, pretending it's part of a Brexit strategy
  • Throw a few scraps to the farmers and fishermen who will be loosing their EU market (weren't the British fishing industry supposed to be the big Brexit winners btw?)
  • Give a definitive answer whether a new deal is possible of not by the end of September.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
No Unicorns with blue passports and guarantied available drinking water?

• 1LOL

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Newsflash: Kim Darroch, UK's ambassasor in the USA; resigned officially on his own accord after his opinion about Trump got leaked.

After the leak Theresa May affirmed that Darroch will stay, also Jeremy Hunt confirmed that he would let Darroch do his job until retirement. Boris Johnson on the other hand did not rule the possibility of taking Darroch back out.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

And a short poll after the tv debate between Johnson and Hunt:

However was that poll of anyone or paid members of the tory party (who still have a 3 month window before they can vote)?

Luisa Land

It us realy disgusting how Johnson as the former boss as foreing secretary treats one member of his former staff.
Many pointed out that Darroch did only his duty as an ambassador has to do, writing unadorned reports about the country he is in to his home-goverment..
(I have not found any information, that Darroch himself, launched these reports into the public)
I realy dont understand, how this man (Johnson), who sacrifces the interests of big sectors of the UK in favour of his narcistic personality, experiences so much sympathy among a big part of the british population

Last edited:

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I realy dont understand, how this man (Johnson), who sacrifces the interests of big sectors of the UK in favour of his narcistic personality, experiences so much sympathy among a big part of the british population
Because they're like him. It's really no different in other countries either.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Tigger

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
It us realy disgusting how Johnson as the former boss as foreing secretary treats one member of his former staff.
Many pointed out that Darroch did only his duty as an ambassador has to do, writing unadorned reports about the country he is in to his home-goverment..
(I have not found any information, that Darroch himself, launched these reports into the public)
He doesn't, or not any more. Yes, his popularity extended beyond the Conservative Party when he was a regular guest on comedy/satire shows like "Have I Got News For You" and he managed to get elected as Mayor of London twice, despite the fact London is a naturally Labour city.

However, a lot has happened since then, notably Brexit and his role in both the referendum and the debacle of the last three years.

Now, the only people who really like him are the (approx -- maybe less) 100,000 predominantly white,wealthy and elderly members of the Conservative Party who will choose between him and Jeremy Hunt as their next party leader and, therefore, Prime Minister.

Last edited:
  • 2Thanks
Reactions: Luisa Land and Ashiri

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Regarding Darroch I am pretty convinced that there was a private talk of his superiors with him, where they asked/hinted him to resign for the sake of the relationship to the USA. And Darroch just did that, because he knew the well was poisoned. Officially though they could not tell this the public, because it would give a bad impression and he was professional enough not to drop the balls on purpose.

So much about the special relationship between the USA and the UK nowadays, it is non existent.

Meanwhile: time for some Jeremy Hunt commercials!

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Dear God in heaven --

Andrew Neil -- You say that if we leave the EU without a deal we can carry on trading with them as before under GATT article 5 b.
Boris Johnson -- Yes
AN -- How would you get round what it says in article 5 c?
BJ -- I would confine myself to article 5 b.
AN -- You haven't read article 5 c, have you?
BJ -- Err. No.

This man will be PM in a couple of weeks' time.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
That's right, we're exporting Trump without any tariffs.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Govi

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
This is the famous Deal about which Trump and the Brexiteers have oft extolled.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
That will be the moment we will flood the Calais - Folkestone tunnel for EU safety reasons.
We don't want his massive intelligence and knowledge to infest the old continent.

• 2Like
Reactions: Govi and Brenda Archer

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Dear God in heaven --

Andrew Neil -- You say that if we leave the EU without a deal we can carry on trading with them as before under GATT article 5 b.
Boris Johnson -- Yes
AN -- How would you get round what it says in article 5 c?
BJ -- I would confine myself to article 5 b.
AN -- You haven't read article 5 c, have you?
BJ -- Err. No.

This man will be PM in a couple of weeks' time.

Dear Leader strikes again ...

• 1LOL
Reactions: Chin Rey