#JAILTOTHECHIEF- Shit Just Got Real

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Confidential memos by Britain's Ambassador to the USA, Kim Darroch, have been leaked...
An ambassador for such an important position should have every confidence that his frank and honest reports would be kept secret. Who would have the motivation to leak such information, which can only harm the UK? That's some fucked up politics, to leak such information to the press, knowing that it can only damage US-UK relationships.

So is someone in the government playing dangerous partisan games or has Putin insinuated himself deep enough to wreak havoc? He may not be the only faction to profit from this leak, but he's the first one that springs to my mind.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
An ambassador for such an important position should have every confidence that his frank and honest reports would be kept secret. Who would have the motivation to leak such information, which can only harm the UK? That's some fucked up politics, to leak such information to the press, knowing that it can only damage US-UK relationships.

So is someone in the government playing dangerous partisan games or has Putin insinuated himself deep enough to wreak havoc? He may not be the only faction to profit from this leak, but he's the first one that springs to my mind.
The Guardian considers this very important question and comes to no clear conclusion:
The journalist responsible for the scoop, Isabel Oakeshott, is close to Nigel Farage’s Brexit party. She has even been previously accused of withholding newsworthy information that might have damaged her best Brexit contacts, a charge she denies. Her cooperation with former Conservative chairman Michael Ashcroft, indicates she operates in the twilight world between journalism and political activism.

But despite Oakeshott and Farage’s perception of the latter being a suitable Washington envoy, they did need someone to supply them with the ammunition in the form of the leaks.

Nevertheless, as the report concludes, someone in government must have leaked the papers but it's by no means clear who it might have been.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Seems someone saw the broadcast:

He is just a parody of himself at this point.

For some reason Jefferson Airplane came up when I was talking to people earlier ...

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Actually, I chose the (whatever) democrats over him on every question. A dead haunted tree would make a better president than him.
That's not the one the link took me to.
This was a different one focused on his "Wall". Sloppily done, maybe even more than the other one. Several questions repeated. Most answerable with an option for write-ins, but a couple doozies where none of the choices are good. Like "Which of the Democratic candidates do you believe LOVES open borders?" with no choice for NONE. 🤦🏻‍♀️

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
That's not the one the link took me to.
This was a different one focused on his "Wall". Sloppily done, maybe even more than the other one. Several questions repeated. Most answerable with an option for write-ins, but a couple doozies where none of the choices are good. Like "Which of the Democratic candidates do you believe LOVES open borders?" with no choice for NONE. 🤦🏻‍♀️
Oh, just assumed it was the one he had before. It was a bunch of questions and each one was him or "a (something) democrat".

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Filling in that poll even as a fuck you only helps the Orange Foolius masturbate.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Filling in that poll even as a fuck you only helps the Orange Foolius masturbate.
Eye bleach! Eye bleach!

Which poll? The one linked to or the one I talked about?

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Even as an American, this worries me about the state of your government. This level of internal betrayal borders on sabotage.
The current government have lost the plot completely. It's frightening to watch. Since late last year, when it became clear that the Withdrawal Agreement negotiated by Theresa May wasn't going to pass, the cabinet (or some of its members, at least) have completely forgotten all notions of cabinet responsibility or, indeed, just about everything other than the electoral fortunes of the Conservative Party and the identity of its next leader.

This isn't the worst of it, by any means. I think the prize goes to Gavin Williamson who, a couple of months of ago, was sacked from his position as defence secretary for leaking details of the disagreement over the Huawei 5G contract (though he denies responsibility)

There's some more speculation here:

The leak has caused outrage among MPs, who circulated theories in parliament that the culprit could be Russian government hackers or another hostile state.

Isabel Oakeshott, the journalist who received the leak, is close to a number of pro-Brexit politicians and co-wrote an account of the EU referendum with Arron Banks, the leave-supporting donor, who is under investigation by the National Crime Agency over the sources of funding for the Leave.EU campaign.

However, Alan Duncan, a Foreign Office minister, told the Commons it was the government’s belief that the leak made its way to Oakeshott “from within” Whitehall, rather than being handed over by foreign agents. He said the Cabinet Office had begun its formal hunt for the mole among current senior politicians, aides and civil servants, but did not at this stage think it was right to involve the police.

He said one of the documents was saved from 2017, but three of the memos were produced just eight to 10 days ago, which appeared to point to someone who was still in post.

The cross-government inquiry has already begun examining who had access to the recent memos – which went to potentially hundreds of people – and a highly sensitive letter from 2017 that had a much narrower circulation list.

Status
Not open for further replies.