#JAILTOTHECHIEF- Shit Just Got Real

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
The very stable genius is now advancing theories that are, quite literally, lunatic:

Reminds me of a joke in the National Lampoon magazine 25 years ago.

"Mars in 10 years? I'm talking Pluto in 5. Dawg cain't piss on a hydrant if he don't aim high!" -Ross Perot, hot on the campaign trail.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
At risk of being pedantic, how did Rob Reiner's uncle manage to be part of the Normandy Invasion and to liberate "the death camps" ?

In all the serious historical writing about WW2 and the Holocaust I've read, the term "death camp" refers specifically to the extermination camps like Bełżec, Sobibór, and Treblinka. Some concentration camps, such as Auschwitz, Majdanek, and Jasenovac, had death camps attached, but concentration camps and death/extermination camps had different functions.

In concentration camps, the inmates were used as slave labour, being worked to death until either malnutrition, disease and maltreatment took their course or until they were judged unfit for work (or their captors simply needed to make room for new inmates) and transferred to the extermination camp part of the camp complex to be murdered.

Death camps had one single purpose -- the swift murder of entire populations, with the vast majority of the victims surviving no longer than a few hours after arrival. The only slave labourers there were inmates needed for the day-to-day running of the camp, who survived for a few months until the Nazis disposed of them, too.

These camps were either liquidated by the Nazis or liberated by the advancing Soviet forces.

The camps liberated by the allied forces, like Belsen, Dachau or Buchenwald, were concentration camps in Germany, Austria and (I think) Czechoslovakia. They were primarily labour and internment camps, where conditions were terrible, the regime brutal and murderous, and prisoners' life expectancy typically short, but they did not normally carry out mass executions -- when the SS wanted to do that (e.g. to make room for new inmates) the victims were typically transported to extermination camps further East to be murdered.

The horrifying conditions encountered by the Allies in the camps they liberated were primarily caused by the way the Nazis liquidated their concentration (i.e. slave labour) camps further east as the Soviet armies advanced. Since the prisoners were considered as resources to be exploited as part of the Reich's war effort, they were made to undertake dreadful forced marches back to Germany, where the survivors were dumped in the concentration camps while the Nazis tried to decide what to do with them. Disease and starvation followed as the Nazi state apparatus collapsed, since as the prisoners no longer had any value as slave labour, the Nazis had no interest in their further survival.

Last edited:

danielravennest

SLU Posts
The very stable genius is now advancing theories that are, quite literally, lunatic:

The thing is, it is *his* directive early in his presidency which started the current Artemis project to go to the Moon:

NASA's crewed moon drive was spurred by a directive the president signed in December 2017.

In a tweet today (June 7), President Donald Trump appeared to signal a lack of support for NASA's current push to put people on the moon in the 2020s — a push that he officially kicked off in December 2017 with the signing of Space Policy Directive 1 (SPD-1) and backed with a proposed funding increase just last month.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Now that Individual 1 and his family have left, and we're all breathing a sigh of brief relief even as the slow purgatory that is Brexit restarts, we're enjoying a chuckle of wry sympathy with his new hosts, and a look of shamed admiration and envy at the Irish PM:

If my twitter feed is any indication neither myself nor remainers (and vets, we are in good company) can figure out nationalists. Yes, on an intellectual level we all know what forces are driving them but not on an emotional one.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
  • 1Love
Reactions: Romana

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Phil's take:

The frustrating thing is those departments, be it NASA, the DOE, or whatever, have a job and know what to do. Then when a new prez comes in they replace the top person/people and the people that work for them are given new marching orders which often are political rather than going to the agency's mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.