Nobody Cares: PRS

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU

The no smoking sign is awesome.
Last night my husband was reading some of the posts from our local "Nextdoor" site discussing the recent Virginia shooting. Needless to say, the threads quickly became very, very virulent and ugly. What my husband could not understand is why? He never said a word about taking away anyone's gun, just that in the US, people should understand that, unless they decide as voters to do something about it, mass shootings will become an inherent part of the US experience.

When I saw this picture I thought yeah, that's the myth a large portion of US society buys into. The "Tough guy/Cowboy/Gangsta" myth. I'm betting that the guy in this picture sees himself as John Wayne, Roy Rogers, Clint Eastwood and Rambo all rolled up into one. Others see themselves as the Godfather, Tony Soprano or Scarface. Taking their guns away in their opinion takes away their identity. And this is why they allow our children to be slaughtered rather than change the laws to make it stop. They have bought into the myth to such an extent that they would disappear without it. People fight hard for their illusions.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

And furthermore, the worst deadly sin isn't pride, it's envy. Every other sin can at least give some satisfaction, and sometimes even be used to positive effect.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Worst parking job evar!
Cruise ships have been pretty controversial in Venice for a while anyway. They are huge monstrosities that dump off ridiculous amounts of people all at once, who in turn eat and sleep on the cruise ships and the locals I've spoken with, say they bring very little to the Venice economy (tourism yes, cruise ships no). They have voted to ban cruise ships of a certain size in the city center beginning in 2021.

Venice just banned mega cruise ships from sailing through the city

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Weird. I got a prerecorded phone call from some conservative PAC or something complaining about something the governor is doing (I didn't pay that much attention); but then the voice message was like "press 1 to be connected with the governor's office now, so you can tell him to respect the people's wishes blah blah blah". So these robocalls are now capable of redirecting your calls to third-party numbers like that now? I suppose it's a way of inflating support or opposition for an issue by creating phone calls that people otherwise wouldn't care enough to send on their own initiative.

• 1Scared

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Ok so she's been fired. Why hasn't she been arrested? Surely even in the USA it can't be legal to point guns at people outside of specific circumstances ?
Guess they had to think about it for a while first:

An ex-employee of a Mississippi campground, fired last month after pulling a gun on a black couple, was arrested Tuesday, the Oktibbeha County Sheriff's Office said.

Ruby Nell Howell, 70, of Starkville is charged with threatening exhibition of a weapon, according to a news release.

Howell turned herself in Tuesday morning and was released on a $500 bond, the sheriff's office said.

She is scheduled to be in court June 25.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
$500 bond? Seriously???

She brandished a weapon, made threatening gestures, and intimidated a couple based on their race, and the judge set bail at the same amount usually set against someone who shoplifts a Snickers bar from the local 7-Eleven???

• 1Agree

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
$500 bond? Seriously???

She brandished a weapon, made threatening gestures, and intimidated a couple based on their race, and the judge set bail at the same amount usually set against someone who shoplifts a Snickers bar from the local 7-Eleven???
Seems about white. :)

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
$500 bond? Seriously???

according to the end of the report she's not likely to face much of a punishment even if found guilty:

Threatening exhibition of weapons is punishable by up to three months in prison and a maximum fine of $500.

• 1Angry

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Last edited:

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
We'll have to see what, if anything, comes of it, and some might say it's too little, too late, but at least it seems to be a step in the right direction

One step forward, one step back:

hmm, they've updated that article since I had opened it, initially they found no wrong doing in homophic abuse.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Interesting article here by a Canadian writer (of whom I must confess I had not previously heard) on her experience of being an anti-abortion evangelical teenager

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
  • 1Thanks

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Give them time, though. It's a huge and complex task they say they're undertaking, and it would be all too easy for it to go horribly wrong. You need only to think of what tends to happen when Facebook try to remove objectionable content!

They've got loads of material to review and huge numbers of judgment calls to make, and there's going to be a lot of on-the-job learning in the face of sustained hostile scrutiny and comments.

I'd far rather they take it slowly and concentrate on getting it right rather than start with a sweeping initiative that they have to roll back the following week.

So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Well, umm.....I mean, she survived so I guess the rescue was a success and everything; I'm just saying, I see a little room for improvement that's all.

How did she manage to not puke during all that?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi