Healthy Dog Put To Sleep To Be Buried With Owner

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
On the other hand, we kill millions and millions of animals every day for all kinds of reasons.
We might be a bit over sensitive when it comes to the cute ones like cats and dogs etc. But on the other hand we wreck a mosquito with no second thought or kill hundreds of butterflies for a silk stocking or tie. An omelet is made of what could have become totally healthy chickens.
It's all very selfish human behavior.

• 1Screwdriver
Reactions: Vaelissa Cortes

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Nahhh....I really disagree that these are equivalent.

Animals kill other animals for food. You can argue that maybe humans have evolved beyond a need for meat or whatever, and that's a fine philosophical discussion to have - but still, the point of taking the egg was so that it could be eaten for food, which is at its core a legit reason for one critter to kill another. You swat a mosquito when it lands on you because that little frick hurts like heck when it bites you and is probably trying to give you West Nile or some damn thing on top of it. It's a legit reason to swat the thing. In point of fact, lots of people prefer NOT to swat mosquitoes which is why Off! exists.

But this dog was killed for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Not even "no GOOD reason" - NO reason. You can't even really say it was killed for its owner's emotional satisfaction even though that was the plan, because the owner is dead and incapable of feeling any emotions.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
On the other hand, we kill millions and millions of animals every day for all kinds of reasons.
We might be a bit over sensitive when it comes to the cute ones like cats and dogs etc. But on the other hand we wreck a mosquito with no second thought or kill hundreds of butterflies for a silk stocking or tie. An omelet is made of what could have become totally healthy chickens.
It's all very selfish human behavior.
Some people do. Not to play the high and mighty card but I am a vegan and an AR person. If a mosqito bites me or a pest invades my home I have no compunction about killing them though - they made the first move.

Of course, everyone kills countless unicellular life forms every day.

Last edited:

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I absolutely refuse to equate my sweet, adorable dog with butterflies or mosquitos!
Really, wtf?? 😡
As for that awful human who had that healthy dog killed rather than have a chance for a life with someone else, well, if there is a hell I hope they are in it.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I could have mentioned the cute little pigs and calves and happy cows and deer, moose, ducks, geese, rabbits, beavers and chickens as examples as well.
We (as in mankind) kill animals every day, for our own selfish reasons, for food, to make nice clothing, for some cosmetics, to avoid pain, sometimes for the pure 'fun' of it. Because we can.
That dog from the OP story fits perfectly in that line.
Would I do that with my own dog (if I owned one)?
No, I don't think so, but the status of animals is, that people own them and make life or death decisions for them.
They shoot crippled horses, don't they?

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I could have mentioned the cute little pigs and calves and happy cows and deer, moose, ducks, geese, rabbits, beavers and chickens as examples as well.
We (as in mankind) kill animals every day, for our own selfish reasons, for food, to make nice clothing, for some cosmetics, to avoid pain, sometimes for the pure 'fun' of it. Because we can.
That dog from the OP story fits perfectly in that line.
Would I do that with my own dog (if I owned one)?
No, I don't think so, but the status of animals is, that people own them and make life or death decisions for them.
They shoot crippled horses, don't they?
The massive amount of whataboutism here is not convincing, and doesn't change that what this person did was needlessly cruel for their own selfishness.

Tove

Equivalent? Really? There is a difference between killing to eat or to keep from being attacked and potentially infected with disease and killing to assauge our selfish vanity. One is about survival and the other is ego based. Period. We have to eat. There are very few nutritious alternatives to killing a plant or animal in order to survive. Or maybe, if we only ate parts of the plants but let the rest recover, it's just torture instead of murdering them. Yeah, that would be a superior moral standpoint, sure it would. Let's not go down that false equivalency rabbit hole shall we. As you see, it can become quite... eerie.. funny though.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Equivalent? Really? There is a difference between killing to eat or to keep from being attacked and potentially infected with disease and killing to assauge our selfish vanity. One is about survival and the other is ego based. Period. We have to eat. There are very few nutritious alternatives to killing a plant or animal in order to survive.
Yes, mankind has to eat; but millions of vegans clearly have demonstrated strong enough that this is entirely manageable without killing or using any animals at all.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Yes, mankind has to eat; but millions of vegans clearly have demonstrated strong enough that this is entirely manageable without killing or using any animals at all.
So therefore, meat eaters = dog killers?

Adeon Writer

Veganism is a privilege of the rich that should absolutely never be held to any sort of moral superiority.

It’s also less than ideal for your own health. It is a personal choice that should not be recommended nor expected from others.

That said animals have less rights than they deserve and putting down a perfectly healthy animal should not be legal.

It is, however, currently perfectly legal so nothing wrong was done here and I don’t feel I can expect anyone to follow anything more than the law. I feel the law should change, but that’s a different discussion.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Tris and Romana

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Here's a thread by a crop science nerd talking about water use and dietary ingredients and how demanding vegetarianism of peoples in dry climates is effectively colonialism.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Ashiri

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Veganism is a privilege of the rich that should absolutely never be held to any sort of moral superiority.
Wrong. Of course if you are only buying expensive stuff in super markets it can tend do be, but that's not a problem of this lifestyle, but just pure ignorance on side of its followers.

It’s also less than ideal for your own health. It is a personal choice that should not be recommended nor expected from others.
Wrong again; you need to be aware about getting some stuff in the right dose, but that's about it. In fact most vegan people tend to be quite more be aware about a healthy way of living than normal people are.

And in the end since the synthetic meat industry is now in its launching phase and 3d printed meat burgers might be the next big thing, this can be considered vegan, too.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
True but then so was trepanning to cure possession by evil spirits.
It worked though. I mean, when did you last hear a documented case of someone being possessed by an evil spirit? Clearly the threat of being exorcised by trepanning has so deterred the evil spirits that they've taken to hanging out in more congenial and less dangerous conditions, like The White House, the US Senate and so on.