What SL Features Would You Like To See Added?

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Second Life turns 16 this year, and over the course of those 16 years it has steadily improved, with the biggest jump in quality coming from mesh support. Still, there is always more that can be done. What would you like to see added to SL in 2019 and beyond?

• 1Like
Reactions: Shiloh Lyric

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
  1. Real PBR materials support (with metalness). Give me more map choices. With better PBR support my geometry can be greatly reduced and it will still look 10000 times better.
  2. Still more compression and optimization to allow for the use of said PBR and other advanced features without lagfests.
  3. Wanna really get fancy? From what I understand, Sansar has a Maya bridge. Give (but don't require) a Blender bridge for creators in SL.
  4. Allow for new region controls that allow for owners and managers to create immersive environments with options like turning instant messaging off as part of an experience (obviously with notice to anyone entering the area).
  5. Better customer service. Any sim owner trying to deal with trolling that isn't code-based still has to jump through a thousand hoops to see no response most of the time (or it was so the last time it happened to one of my sims a couple years ago). I get that no one can divulge the results of a disciplinary action to another user, but a simple "this issue has been examined and appropriate actions taken" in email would make a world of difference.

Mechanical

SL Rez
Limit non-graphical resources a parcel on a sim can use based upon parcel size.
Derender parcels with view point from a particular parcel or derender everything outside of a parcel.
Derender/Do not download/Do not process by Creator, with text file import/export option with comments.

Market Place:
By default and unable to toggle off: Warn EVERY time an item No Mod object (not scripts) is being listed.
Filters: Listing Date, Creation Date, Creator's rez date
Replace star system with Positive/Neutral/Negative rating
Ratings without comments
Ratings remain attached to Lister's history, so that customers can look for bad behavior (repeating relistings, removal of critical comments)
Comments cannot be removed, simply collapsed (so customers can expand to view)
Punish Listers that do not tag gacha items gacha

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
The ability to log in "do not disturb"/"invisible" mode, invisible to groups AND calling cards both.
1) Yes! We were asking for this years ago. It would be a huge help for builders, anyone doing customer support, and anyone who has been the target of a stalker.

2) Now that people are often in mesh bodies, going to a crowded venue can be a hilarious jumble of floating, dancing naked body pieces. I’d like a feature that would allow either a wearer or an observer to not render a avatar as anything but a cloud until *all* its pieces arrive in the viewer.

3) I want vehicles to bounce off banlines, not get stuck in them. If I can’t enter, any prim I’m sitting on shouldn’t be able to either.

4) The main forum threads on orbs in Linden homes really drove home, to me, the point that people don’t trust their neighbors not to abuse report them for activities which are actually permitted indoors in Moderate. They also don’t expect social mores to protect them from passers by. And newbies who realize orbs and banlines don’t get them anonymity on the map or make them vanish from it, get confused and angry.

I’d like to see a feature of what is basically a tiny micro sim, maybe the size of a 2048, with a few fixed choices such as “island” “space” or “mountain valley.” The idea would be to have total privacy with a low cost of entry. You can argue a skybox works too, but the same people who are afraid of their neighbors are not experienced enough to realize a high skybox is enough privacy for anyone who hasn’t been targeted by a stalker. Also, setting up a skybox requires minor building skills.

New micro sims would give total privacy without changing Mainland for those of us who still love it for what it is.

NeoBokrug Elytis

Thread Reaper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I would like the following, and I know some ideas are not popular:
  1. Security
    1. 2FA Enabled Logins, Cashouts, etc.
    2. One verified SL account, multiple avatars. Shared L$ balance, SL Tier, Premium account status.
  2. Servers / Regions
    1. Fix the sl-service networking issues that have been crippling SL for the past 6 months.
    2. Hire more people to work on issues and develop new interesting features.
    3. Stop releasing half-assed features. Don't give up because it's hard, do it well and do it right.
    4. The ability to ban alts that LL knows for sure, even if I don't know who the alts actually are. For instance a: Ban Person (and alts) option.
    5. Raise the z axis build height limit higher.
    6. Script and Render weight limits for region owners to set for their regions.
    7. Content Blocklists. I want to ban certain creators items from my regions. Mostly crappy mesh rippers.
    8. A new region land asset? Voxel based mesh? Heightmaps suuuck.
    9. The ability to "paint" on land, instead of this BS texture blending that is literally different for every person and every login.
  3. Marketplace
    1. Rebuild the Marketplace front end to be more functional and user friendly. It's an infuriating hard to use trash fire.
    2. Only Payment Info on File can post to the Marketplace.
    3. Gacha resales need their own category on the MP.
    4. The ability for residents to flag an item for LL to review, for instance obvious IP issues. (Yeah I know safe harbor, blah, blah. But LL can invent a system that works with the law. Look at youtubes infuriating BS, and they work within the law.)
      1. The ability for LL to revoke peoples ability to flag items, for instance constant abuse.
      2. Flagged items need a TON of info including evidence about what they're being flagged for. Incomplete flags should be ignored.
      3. Once an item is flagged, message the creator and ask them to show proof they have the right to use IP, but keep the item listed for X days.
      4. If X days pass and no proof is provided, delist it.
  4. Customer Service / Marketing
    1. I would like to see LL interact with the SL community more. Warframe does a great job with this hosting devstreams and update previews. People get FUCKING EXCITED for it. I want to be that excited for SL all the time.
    2. I genuinely miss Torley and his enthusiasm about Second Life. Bring Torley back.
    3. Canned responses need to go when replying to tickets. They feel distant an impersonal. I also find it makes whoever handling it seem lazy, and like they don't fully read what has happened when I've filed a ticket. I wouldn't say this, if this were not the case I've had to endure multiple times. I've filed tickets, and had to refile/reopen them for someone to comprehend what I was trying to explain because it doesn't fit with ticket options.
    4. Bring back phone support for premium accounts. Again, forcing everyone to file a ticket for an issue doesn't work. There's very limited options when filing a ticket and the presented options are hard to navigate, and are sometimes like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
  5. Viewer
    1. Incorporate some useful 3rd party features, like area search, and builder-helping tools.
    2. Perhaps have a light weight viewer for people who aren't creators? No build stuff is there, just the ability to move, rotate, and resize things.
    3. Bring some of that Sansar rendering engine to the viewer, don't let all that work go to waste. Re-purpose what you have invested so much in to make SL better.
    4. Build Pane Options:
      1. llSetText() without a script.
      2. Mirror Object
      3. Visual llSitTarget() positions
      4. Particle Builder?
    5. Incorporate an ultra simplified mesh builder into the viewer (maybe voxels again). Bring people back into SL and encourage people to hangout inworld while they work.
    6. REMOVE WEB PROFILES FROM THE VIEWER.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
You know what I would love. If parcels with ban line just flat out didn't appear/render.

Instead of getting stopped and blocked and ugly ban lines, just render it as an open space and let people pass through it as if it's an open space.

The reverse would happen too. Anyone inside the parcel, won't see anyone who is not on the access list.

This almost would serve the purpose of a micro region like Brenda mentioned above.

Anonymous/private log in would be nice too. I haven't logged in in a while but sometimes it would be nice to log in just to build or just to do some quick land management.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Anonymous/private log in would be nice too. I haven't logged in in a while but sometimes it would be nice to log in just to build or just to do some quick land management.
IM from acquaintance: hi
Reply: Heya, just logged in to do a quick thing.
Acquaintance: how r u?
Do the thing and log off.
Offline from acquaintance: fine. jerk.

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
invisible to groups...
i'd go a step further and split group and chat systems up... every group doesn't need to have a chat system attached.. have an option to enable it or disable it so i only get notices. 90 % of my message is group chat opening and people talking random shit.

Ellen Cordeaux

Lurky Loo
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
i'd go a step further and split group and chat systems up... every group doesn't need to have a chat system attached.. have an option to enable it or disable it so i only get notices. 90 % of my message is group chat opening and people talking random shit.
Do you mean the official viewer? In Firestorm there's already an option to turn off chat in groups; I use it a lot.

Ellen Cordeaux

Lurky Loo
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Allow sellers to list multiple items as one item, so you don't have to wade through 23 listings for the same item in different colors.
I'd hit agree 1000 times on this if I could. Note to sellers: Make ONE color chart with all the colors available and put it on ONE listing. :grr:

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Seven

SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-15-2010
So many great ideas! I especially love the idea of ban lines simply rendering an empty parcel you could pass through!

Personally this is what I would love to see:

- The ability to instance regions, so that copies of a region can be created that share map coordinates. The most frustrating thing about shopping in-world for me is knowing there's something I want at an event but not being able to get in for days!

- Update the Marketplace! It looks super dated, it's annoying to use, it lacks many essential features (lots of people already mentioned a lot of good ideas so I'm not going to go on).

- It's also already been mentioned but better updated materials. And why can't we use an alpha mask and an emissive mask at the same time? It's always seemed like a really weird decision to me.