VP Mike Pence: Be prepared to be shunned and ridiculed for being a Christian

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Mike Pence tells Liberty University graduates to prepare to be 'shunned,' 'ridiculed' for being a Christian

Yeah, shunned and ridiculed...

Christian: Hi, I'm a Christian!

Most People: Oh? That's cool.

Christian: I believe Jesus Christ is my personal lord and savior!

Most People: Um, sure yeah, I get it.

Christian: We need to outlaw abortion and get rid of the gay people! Also, you're going to Hell for your wicked ways!

Most People: *shuns the Christian*

Christian: *turning to another Christian* See!? See!? They can't stand us!
That pretty much sums it up. They have no idea why people are yelling something about correlation and causation to them.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
What these people don't seem to get is that it is perfectly possible to be a Christian without being a raging asshole. It's not only possible, it's the way Jesus himself taught it. If these idiots weren't so busy cherry-picking the Bible to fit their own world views, they might actually get it.
Exactly! If these people would stop making such noise to the contrary they would find a lot of people are perfectly willing to have conversations with people of different belief/nonbelief systems. Both sides just have to agree to a common logical framework, like no saying 'I am right because my book said so which is right because it was written by my sky friend who is real because our book says so'.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Yes :qft: X 1,000,000,000,000, ad infinium, ad nauseum, ad ridiculum

Me: Oh? That's cool. :cautious:

Christian: I believe Jesus Christ is my personal lord and savior! OR Have you accepted Jesus Christ is my personal lord and savior?

Me: Um, sure yeah, that's good but my views on religion are very personal and I'd rather not discuss this.

Christian: We need to outlaw abortion and get rid of the gay people! Also, you're going to Hell for your wicked ways!

Me: *shuns the Christian*

Me: o_O

Interestingly enough, I have never had this conversation with anyone who was one Catholic, Jewish, Buddhist, Wiccan, Muslim, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Mormon, etc., just Evangelical Christians and Jehovah Witnesses. I am pretty sure that the only reason that Jehovah Witnesses go door to door is to be able say that they are persecuted, not to convert people. :rolleyes:
I've never had this conversation with a Jehovah's Witness. Every time they visit me, as soon as I see the copy of The Watchtower in which they're trying to interest me I politely say "Thank you for calling, but no thank you. Goodbye" and they wish me a good day and leave.

My late father, after he'd retired, once answered the door to them after lunch and, on being asked if he had a few minutes to spare, said he was dreadfully sorry, but he didn't, since he was about to go upstairs do something very important that would occupy him for the next hour or so.

"You see," he continued, "It's my habit to take my afternoon nap around now. So if you'll excuse me, please...." and shut the door on them.

They never came back.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Yes :qft: X 1,000,000,000,000, ad infinium, ad nauseum, ad ridiculum

Me: Oh? That's cool. :cautious:

Christian: I believe Jesus Christ is my personal lord and savior! OR Have you accepted Jesus Christ is my personal lord and savior?

Me: Um, sure yeah, that's good but my views on religion are very personal and I'd rather not discuss this.

Me: *shuns the Christian*

Me: o_O

Interestingly enough, I have never had this conversation with anyone who was one Catholic, Jewish, Buddhist, Wiccan, Muslim, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Mormon, etc., just Evangelical Christians and Jehovah Witnesses. I am pretty sure that the only reason that Jehovah Witnesses go door to door is to be able say that they are persecuted, not to convert people. :rolleyes:
If you want to see some truly mindnumbing conversations look at things like talk heathen on youtube. People call in and try the most inane ways of convincing the hosts (who are atheists) of their beliefs. In addition to having heard it all before some of the hosts are pretty well known in the atheist community (one recent guest was a moral philosopher from England) , which means everyone in the audience knows when they are about to hang up on a caller (who probably then screams to their friends about being persecuted, even though they were given miles and miles of rope).

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
If you'd like to teach them a class on it? :yarrr:
No way. Before having any discussion on religion and so forth you first need to agree to things like basic definitions. I could see that taking several hours with them before even getting to the actual conversation.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I've never had this conversation with a Jehovah's Witness. Every time they visit me, as soon as I see the copy of The Watchtower in which they're trying to interest me I politely say "Thank you for calling, but no thank you. Goodbye" and they wish me a good day and leave.

My late father, after he'd retired, once answered the door to them after lunch and, on being asked if he had a few minutes to spare, said he was dreadfully sorry, but he didn't, since he was about to go upstairs do something very important that would occupy him for the next hour or so.

"You see," he continued, "It's my habit to take my afternoon nap around now. So if you'll excuse me, please...." and shut the door on them.

They never came back.
I almost wish I could get scientologists to bug me. Just so I could drop something in conversation casually that I had googled, like being an OT 8 (a lie, google and wiki are your friends). Then I would get to watch their expressions.

The current crop of evangelicals around here are the 'take our pamphlet' types who include a sign about it being available in other languages. I am deciding if asking for one in some obscure language would mean they would not pester me or they would do it every time I walked by them.

Ellie

Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a Rainbow Pootbeam
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts
Jesus Christ? You mean that jew who mingled with thieves an prostitutes, turned water into wine, told people to turn the other cheek and to love and respect everybody?

What on earth does he have to do with Christian fundamentalism???
Pence is more of a Christian Supremacist than a fundie?

He's a nasty power hungry politicritter who will run over anyone to get what he wants - for example, by saying cigarettes don't cause cancer - while skillfully using his narrowly defined so-called faith to justify support for appalling violations of human rights such as gay conversion therapy.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Kaimi Kyomoon

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Ah, mentioned the wrong show as they have several. Here is the clip.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Ellie

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Just remember. All Christians aren't conservative, and all aren't fundamentalist.

I’m a bit confused by your post because the light hearted joke picture doesn’t seem to match the message you typed above it.

Are you using the “not all...” meme sarcastically? Or was it a serious attempt to educate? If the latter, I think it’s safe to say “not all...” applies to every group and topic, so much so that it can go without saying. In fact, likely best to go without saying in most cases as it sounds either defensive or patronizing. I’m not sure what the Christian version of mansplaining is, Christsplaining?

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
In fact, likely best to go without saying in most cases as it sounds either defensive or patronizing.
Good words for a lot of occasions.

I’m not sure what the Christian version of mansplaining is, Christsplaining?
It's all comes from a defensive mechanism.

Ariadne Korda

Maybe not lurking so much now
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
It may be time to repost this, which you can find all over the Net. This is from Why can't I own Canadian slaves

Sorry it's long but it's just so good. I imagine Pence has never come across it.

"Today
was the first day for Dr. Laura Schlessinger and her "no-nonsense"
advice on satellite radio. In her radio show, Dr. Laura has said that,
as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according
to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. An
enquiry into other Bibilical admonitions raises some key questions. The
following response is an open letter to Dr. Laura from James M.
Kauffman, Professor Emeritus at the University of Virginia.

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual "uncleanliness" - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there degrees of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14) I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan.

James M. Kauffman, Ed.D. Professor Emeritus, Dept. Of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education, University of Virginia.

PS (It would be a damn shame if we couldn't own a Canadian)

Ed's Note: There's some debate about precisely who authored this piece. Whoever: It's great."

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Good for them.

Protests as Vice President Pence Gives Commencement Speech at Taylor University
Dozens of graduates and faculty have protested the selection of Vice President Mike Pence as the commencement speaker at Taylor University in Indiana by walking out moments before his introduction.

The Indianapolis Star reports the protesters in caps and gowns rose and quietly walked down the aisle and out of the auditorium in the Kesler Student Activities Center at the university in Upland, Indiana.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?
Plus what is the appropriate response if your boss asks you to work on weekends? Do they get an exception if they are from a culture that is fine with it?

• 1LOL
Reactions: Brenda Archer