Empire Actor Jussie Smollett Victim Of Hate Crime Attack In Chicago

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Over here, they ask people when they're called for jury service to notify the court office beforehand if they're actually disqualified for whatever reason (generally by reason of a criminal conviction, which, if the sentence awarded was sufficiently high, disqualifies people either for life or for 10 years, depending on the sentence, or because they'll have difficulty understanding the evidence or following the cars). If they want to apply to be excused for a good reason (ill-health, work commitments, a wedding or family holiday already booked) they can ask the court office for a postponement or, if that doesn't work, they can ask the judge.

Other than that, we generally simply ask people if they have any connection with the case. I've known judges to disqualify people from particular cases on other grounds -- once, rather unusually, the judge asked the panel if any of them had any family connection with the road haulage business, in a case that involved three men accused of robbing lorry drivers who had pulled off the road to sleep overnight. This was a particularly notorious case, though, about which feelings were running high, since the lorry driver whom they were accused of attempting to rob (and for which they were convicted) had killed one of their colleagues while defending himself from the gang.

Other than that, the theory is that, in the context of a jury room, where 12 strangers from all walks of life and backgrounds are deliberating over the evidence and arguments, people's conflicting prejudices are soon identified by other members of the jury in their attempts to reach a collective conclusion.

I've never served on a jury but people who have tell me that quite soon into the process the jury stops being 12 individuals and becomes a team working reasonably dispassionately to sift the evidence. Jurors can, though, and sometimes do, complain to the judge if they have concerns about one of their number being so prejudiced that the accused isn't receiving a fair trial.

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
I was only called for Jury Duty once, and served. At the time, I was a Paralegal for a Criminal Defense attorney which I relayed during Voir Dire. That could have disqualified me from serving on a criminal jury if one of the counsel had 'challenged' my appointment. But it was a civil case, so they didn't really care about my criminal law background and experience.

It was an interesting experience. It involved a DUI death, but the drunk driver died, also, so it was his estate being sued. We didn't know it until afterwards, of course, but we awarded what was, at that time, the highest civil award ever granted in the county. I don't know what happened beyond that, but I always hoped the family ended up with, at least, most of what we awarded after insurance fighting and appeals.

Lianne Marten

Cheese Baron
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 18 2007
SLU Posts
I'm shocked, shocked, that the Chicago Police Department is not completely 100% above board and reliable. Especially when it's a wealthy black man involved? I could not have seen this coming.

Here's some additional information from a month ago from a reputable source

Summer Haas

Scripted Agent
SL Rez
I'll be curious to see what the $3500 was actually for and why his 2 friends said it was them who attacked him for money if it was actually 2 white men like he claims. Why do I think this whole thing is going to get swept under the rug. Either way, his reputation will stay in the toilet. The court of public opinion is unlikely to change.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
David Allen Green is an absolute star. He's a very smart English lawyer, with a particular interest in Constitutional and Administrative law and Brexit, but is worth following for his wit and insight even if Brexit doesn't interest you at all.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Ellie and Cristalle

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I'll be curious to see what the $3500 was actually for and why his 2 friends said it was them who attacked him for money if it was actually 2 white men like he claims. Why do I think this whole thing is going to get swept under the rug. Either way, his reputation will stay in the toilet. The court of public opinion is unlikely to change.
Jussie Smollett's Texts, Check Supports Training Fee, Not 'Attack' Fee

Summer Haas

Scripted Agent
SL Rez
Some news on this that actually makes sense.

...and of course this nugget at the end "The judge in the case sealed the record of the proceedings so the evidence presented to the grand jury which indicted Smollett on 16 felony counts associated with allegedly filing a false police report will not be made public through the courts."

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I don't honestly know what to think about all of it. The whole thing has been crazy, and the Chicago PD made several statements that were proven to not be true. That police department also has a pretty shady history. Still, the whole thing is suspicious. I hope it doesn't prevent people from believing someone in the future, as this kind of stuff happens to non-famous people all the time.

Ellie

Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a Rainbow Pootbeam
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts
I can't find out how long the police held & questioned/interrogated the Osundairo brothers, what they threatened them with, etc, etc, but do know if I'd just got off a lengthy flight & was taken by police, then around the 8 hour mark I'd probably be confessing to being the Zodiac killer while spying on the U.S. on behalf of Lithuania and plotting to steal the U.K. crown jewels.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
Russian meddling into an election didn't deserve a probe, but an actor not being charged in what really amounts to a petty crime in the grand scheme of things is a matter for the CHIEF executive to solve!

• 1Agree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Shiloh Lyric and Pamela

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
It's this for real
I can't find out how long the police held & questioned/interrogated the Osundairo brothers, what they threatened them with, etc, etc, but do know if I'd just got off a lengthy flight & was taken by police, then around the 8 hour mark I'd probably be confessing to being the Zodiac killer while spying on the U.S. on behalf of Lithuania and plotting to steal the U.K. crown jewels.
According to this, he's still saying they attacked him? Or his lawyer is, anyway. And if he's saying they attacked him, how can he say it was the truth when he said it was two white guys? I'm confused.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
It is not just "black guys getting off". OJ got off. Smollett got off. Countless other black guys died when they encountered the police. Want to take a guess at the common thread that links the first two but does not include the others?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin