The 'other' Second Life

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
TBH, they seem to be slowly fading out.

With NewPhysics(tm) breaking orbiters, LL finally cluing and making infohubs no-rez, the sandboxes no-script, etc. and VrChat being a new frontier.

I haven't even seen a decent mario/batman/lemonparty object/particle spam attack in a long time.

Only thing I've seen recently is the rather pathetic "ur music sucks" in a club, and they just went away when everyone was like "yeah? and?"

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Spirits Rising

Quite Blunt
SL Rez
Joined SLU
08/24/2014
SLU Posts
No this is something else. Jesus said, "The poor will always be with us." Likewise, the trolls will always be with us. There are trolls in Shakespeare's plays, Iago being the prime example.

The difference is, these people were shunned, not celebrated. Ten years ago, there was no such thing as a famous, hero troll. They didn't brag about their exploits to cheering crowds.
Yeah, no - sorry.

You're over a decade late and on top of that were rather blissfully ignorant at the time as well it seems.

The only thing that has changed between then and now? More idiots being vocal about how much entertainment they've derived from watching the trolls and more idiots complaining (rather vocally) about them.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Kibo wasn't a troll, he was just a guy wearing a funky avatar. I'm talking about people like "Bimmler", who pretty much single-handedly trashed net.suicide... and who was later revealed to be a pretty famous computer scientist at Bell Labs. Later we had the Meowers and Dave "true free speech" Hayes and his hanger-on net kooks that were kind of like Voted 5/W-Hat.

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
May or may not have participated in the meow wars...

Kimba

Yeah, no - sorry.

You're over a decade late and on top of that were rather blissfully ignorant at the time as well it seems.
If I understand correctly, y'all are saying that if I tell someone "You are the most despicable person I have ever met," there are not significantly more people who take that as a compliment today, than ten years ago?

• 1ROFL
Reactions: Spirits Rising

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
If I understand correctly, y'all are saying that if I tell someone "You are the most despicable person I have ever met," there are not significantly more people who take that as a compliment today, than ten years ago?
What does this even mean?

I joined SL in 2005 and there were plenty of griefers. It's a sandbox world. This is just how it works.

• 2Like
Reactions: Sid and Spirits Rising

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Depends on whether you are talking about the Internet in general, or SL in particular.

The goatse cubes... oh god, the goatse cubes over Kuula!

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
And yes, they've been around for 10+ years. Even the comparatively "benign" infohub trolls that self-reinforce each other, competing for lulz, have been around at least since '06.
Indeed, and when compared to that era, there is effectively no trolling in Second Life anymore.

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
There are fewer now. And not nearly as organized.

Indeed, and when compared to that era, there is effectively no trolling in Second Life anymore.
There's probably still the usual info-hub hangers-on talking smack that end in any MMO with a newbie area, but really any other stuff seems to have faded out either due to nerfs or disinterest.

Last edited:

Spirits Rising

Quite Blunt
SL Rez
Joined SLU
08/24/2014
SLU Posts
Seriously? You're that dense?

Fuck sake ...

• 1Like
Reactions: Lucifer

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Conifer Dada

There's always time for another coffee.
SL Rez
SL doesn't have a wonderful reputation in the wider world, with all sorts of stereotyped opinions expressed about it. So it's vulnerable to 'outsider' trolls and griefers who join up to taunt and make fun of the 'sad losers living in their sad cartoon world'. Then there are the 'insider' trolls and griefers, who do 'get' SL but they have very partisan views about the community within it, which involves them having an 'enemy' or 'victim group' to persecute.

Re. the cat watching the rain in the post above . . . I bet the cat soon moved to another vantage point to see if it was still raining. :D

Last edited:

Val

n00b!1
Joined SLU
03/07/2017
SLU Posts
I am surprised many people use voice in SL at all as only seen that during novelty period. Probably because it works only for few and is only useful for events or filming lip-synching. People using voice in infohubs and ... doing as they always did? Made me shed a tear as gone are the times where when in any SL group of friends boredom had arisen, one would always go "Hey wanna go troll at infohubs?" . Besides the above organised griefing acts, infohubs always were like middle school - kids yelling most offensive stuff at each other for no reason. Sure - it is stupid, annoying and offensive and not best when new users could pop up (I doubt they do anymore or at least not there).

Also ... I would still love to be called most despicable as come on ... that is true honour. But. I assume this is a case of most people and most immature and hilarious trolling in writing and arsey pride is Ancient Greek Philosophers.

Other famous arsehole troll who loved standing ovations? Shakespeare (I am sure user above known but he is a hilarious sample due to people still buying into his ... uh ... memes? Fake news? Everything.)

Benjamin Opel

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
March, 2010
SLU Posts
I'd recommend staying away from the Welcome areas, they can be so toxic. It ruins the whole experience for everyone.

I've been targeted there one time too, it was such a weird experience lol.

Adeon Writer

I used SL for 11 years, using Voice chat almost entirely (with the rest being group chat, IM chat, or IM voice)

In my 11 years of SL, I’ve probably spent an accumulated time of less than 10 hours actually reading local chat texts.

Easily over 99% of all my SL interaction has been via local voice channel.

I can’t emphasize enough how strong and important the friendships I’ve made are. I currently live with the person who was my SL partner. I have friends around the globe who now have discord and and we keep in touch that way.

The few people who were text only in SL? Well.. they are still in SL. And I’m not.

I’ve never felt any sort of strong connection to someone only talk to via text. It feels so emotionless.

That said, I use voice chat in private groups. Never in public. The public of SL is terrible, nothing specific to voice chat. Those people are just as terrible to talk to via text.

Mechanical

SL Rez
Spend some time at newbie help areas. A joker or two will show up every few hours thinking they've come up with a fun and new cool way to cause everyone a bother.