Empire Actor Jussie Smollett Victim Of Hate Crime Attack In Chicago

Ellie

Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a Rainbow Pootbeam
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/16/entertainment/jussie-smollett-attack/index.html

"Two law enforcement sources with knowledge of the investigation."

Unnamed sources. OK.

Any victim of a traumatic event or crime can be shaken to the point they misremeber details, act weird & generally look like they are guilty of...something.

I do know that after hubbie became very ill one afternoon I greeted medics at the door in a big bath towel, since I'd been in the shower when it all started & hadn't had time to put clothes on, then completely forgot what I was wearing until after they left the house - I'm very shy - my focus was in one place & one place only.

Of course it's possible this is a hoax, any incident could or could not be, but I think I'm hoping it's not.

And that the actor has sufficient support and comfort, whatever the outcome.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
Any victim of a traumatic event or crime can be shaken to the point they misremeber details, act weird & generally look like they are guilty of...something.
Right. I've thought a lot how people associate confidence with honesty and competence, and that entire association is probably just wrong.

Con artists are much more convincing victims than actual victims. A con will act like society expects 1) have their story all planned out and consistent 2) Cry on command 3) Know exactly who did it.

Real victims on the other hand will often act like babbling maniacs and do weird things because their initial reaction is shock, not to react in a "logical" way. So that's why a real victim might go to work right after the attack like nothing happened, then suddenly remember x days later that something horrible happened.

The fact that liars are often more convincing than honest people is also very relevant in business. Salesmen who don't know anything can make AI sound so much cooler than a developer who actually knows something about it.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
The fact that liars are often more convincing than honest people is also very relevant in business. Salesmen who don't know anything can make AI sound so much cooler than a developer who actually knows something about it.
For an even better example bring up computerized voting or *shudder* internet voting. Any CS person (especially one in cyber security at all) will scream and tell you to run away from the whole idea.

I have not been following this much at all but hopefully he is not faking it and that fact will be supported. If he is it will make it much worse for people reporting these cases.

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
If someone wants to cry wolf and destroy their own integrity and reputation, fine, whatever... But like that waitress that faked the receipt we with hate speech (iirc), it undermines the credibility of all lgbtq+ people, and we have little enough to go around already.

Kinda really pissed at him over what now seems more like a pretty and fraudulent publicity stunt gone terribly badly.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I'm glad the truth has come out, but I also don't feel bad about believing him. I'll believe the next person too.
While right-wingers will gleefully seize on the outlier of a false complaint to claim, wrongly, that this calls into question all complaints of homophobic and racist assaults, as they do with malicious complaints (some are undoubtedly false, through very few, I think) about rape and sexual assault.

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I'm glad the truth has come out, but I also don't feel bad about believing him. I'll believe the next person too.
Yeah, I saw some people on shitter talking about how libs were giving him sympathy at first. Since when is having a first reaction of sympathy a bad thing? The people pointing that out also did not point out the same people were quick to call him out too.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Trump attacks Empire actor Jussie Smollett for staging alleged hate crime: 'What about MAGA?'

This seems quite extraordinary to me. In the UK, where our free-speech protections are less absolute than in the US, it would be unlawful for a public figure to comment like this on a criminal case after someone is charged and before the jury delivers a verdict.

If a British politician said something like this in a British case she or he would, quite rightly, rapidly be facing charges of contempt of court, since the defendant is innocent until proven guilty, and it's not permissible for anyone else to prejudge the issue in public comments.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Trump attacks Empire actor Jussie Smollett for staging alleged hate crime: 'What about MAGA?'

This seems quite extraordinary to me. In the UK, where our free-speech protections are less absolute than in the US, it would be unlawful for a public figure to comment like this on a criminal case after someone is charged and before the jury delivers a verdict.

If a British politician said something like this in a British case she or he would, quite rightly, rapidly be facing charges of contempt of court, since the defendant is innocent until proven guilty, and it's not permissible for anyone else to prejudge the issue in public comments.
It should be that way in the US, too. But, like with other things, Trump has essentially changed the rules.

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
It should be that way in the US, too. But, like with other things, Trump has essentially changed the rules.
Given the outrageous lies and false accusations made by FakeNews McAnusface in his political career, one could almost praise Smollett's behavior as being "Presidential".

ETA a tweet I just saw that really drives this point home:

Last edited:

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008

Well, he had to distract from the actual white Supremacist wannabe-terrorist former Coast Guard member who planned to kill...well, pretty much everyone, but especially liberals.

As for Jussie Smollett, I'm very upset with him if this is all a hoax, and what's coming out so far appears very damning for him. He's harmed the black community, the LBGTQ community (most especially those who are in both groups) as well as his family and cast members, among others. I really liked his character on Empire but now he needs to go. He's ruined his career over what seems to amount to an expensive harmful stunt.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
If Mel Gibson can make it back, Jussie can too. He will have to do his punishment if it is indeed so, pay restitution to the city, etc. But he could find a way back.

Zaida Gearbox

Jussie is not as well-known/established as Mel Gibson was. Basically nobody even heard of him before this unless they watched Empire. Plus, as reprehensible as the things Mel Gibson has said/done are - they did not have the potential to cause actual civil unrest. Jussie's stunt could have resulted in riots and blood shed in Chicago.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Our rules are very strict indeed. Once someone's charged, it's contempt of court to publish anything other than the fact of the charge and an account of the court proceedings (including bail and plea hearings, as well as the trial, of course) until the trial ends with either an acquittal or conviction.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer