Do You Still Care About Second Life?

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
If at any time you have sold anything, you are obligated to stay engaged with customer support until you cancel your account.

I envision myself on my deathbed explaining how to open a box .

Marianne McCann

Feted Inner Child
SL Rez
Joined SLU
06-01-2008
SLU Posts
One thing I've noticed in the transition from SLU to here is that there is not nearly as much discussion about SL. Obviously at this point I guess there's not a ton of new things to talk about regarding SL - I'm just curious.
I still do very much care. It's a part of my daily life and a part f my income. It just doesn't seem like there's a lot to discuss at this point. I'm also not the sort to start a new thread, and I generally don't feel comfortable posting here a lot anyway (this is just a "me in general thing" not anything about the forum in question).

Qie Niangao

Coin-operated
SL Rez
It's sorta not obvious to me what about SL to post here, even though I'm still quite engaged in-world. In fact, I've recently had something of a scripting resurgence. Surprising how a mature platform, where all the problems were "solved" years ago, still has such vast room for improvement in user-generated content.

How many years does it take to really learn to script for this platform, anyway?

SL Rez
Joined SLU
I still care about SL. Although I'm only a customer now (I'm not a creator anymore because I can't understand Blender even if my life depended on it) and I "only" hang out with friends and my Mistress when I log in several days a week, I even went premium a few months ago. :)

HEX

BURRITO WARLORD
SL Rez
HEX IS STILL INTERESTED IN SL, BUT HIS SL COMPUTER DIED AND HE IS STUCK ON A 8 YEAR OLD BUDGET LAPTOP HE'S RUNNING UBUNTU ON. EVENTUALLY EITHER HIS BFF WILL FIX HIS COMPUTER OR HE WILL GET THE CASH/USED PARTS TO BUILD A FRANKENPUTER TO GET HIS BURRITO LOVING BUTT VIRTUAL AGAIN.

HEX

BURRITO WARLORD
SL Rez
How many years does it take to really learn to script for this platform, anyway?
BASED ON HEX'S EXPERIENCE, 13 YEARS ON HE'S STILL LEARNING STUFFS. IT'S LEAD TO SOME REALLY WEIRD CODE IN OTHER LANGUAGES TOO. A FEW YEARS AGO HE TOOK A C++ COURSE AND THE INSTRUCTOR ASKED HIM WHY HE APPROACHED AN ASSIGNMENT THE WAY HE DID. WHAT WAS SO ODD THAT HE WAS ASKED ABOUT HIS APPROACH? HE WROTE HIS OWN LSL-LIKE STATE IMPLEMENTATION.

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I still do very much care. It's a part of my daily life and a part f my income. It just doesn't seem like there's a lot to discuss at this point. I'm also not the sort to start a new thread, and I generally don't feel comfortable posting here a lot anyway (this is just a "me in general thing" not anything about the forum in question).
Marianne! Hi!

I still care about SL. Although I'm only a customer now (I'm not a creator anymore because I can't understand Blender even if my life depended on it) and I "only" hang out with friends and my Mistress when I log in several days a week, I even went premium a few months ago. :)
Eighthdwarf! Someone else who posts I've been missing. Hi!

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
My interest and involvement are currently at a lower ebb, but that's part of a cyclical thing. I'm still logging in and doing things, just every two or three days at the moment and not for extended periods every day.

As for talking about Second Life, well I guess I'd have to echo what others have said already; that for numerous reasons, there just seems to be less to say.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Evola

SL Rez
SLU Posts
There's a handful of people and communities I care about, but in terms of SL itself it's nowhere near the creative or social platform it once was. The majority of the platform is one big marketplace for products and entertainment events and there's not a whole lot happening outside of that to discuss(especially compared to 5-10 years ago). The current trend of newer residents are more interested in passive entertainment with black friday sales year 'round than anything else, where in the past I think there was a better balance and somewhat more varied interests for other aspects to exist in. So most discussions of SL now are better suited for the blogosphere.

Doing the burn2 event as a builder last fall was a needed reminder of what made me fall in love with SL in the first place over a decade ago, enough to keep me lingering awhile longer more than I might have otherwise. The slowly growing resurgence in mainland is nice to see too(if not always literally).

Last edited:

Luisa Land

The current trend of newer residents are more interested in passive entertainment with black friday sales year 'round tha

Doing the burn2 event as a builder last fall was a needed reminder of what made me fall in love with SL in the first place over a decade ago, enough to keep me lingering awhile longer more than I might have otherwise. The slowly growing resurgence in mainland is nice to see too(if not always literally).

I agree, but one should consider, that the options for the "average" residents to create something have become poorer. It would take a lot of time -as some already pointed out - to learn to build nowadays compared to the past of sl.
I am sure if there would be "easier" options to create, a lot of ppl would use these options.
So imho it is mostly that the supplies for these activities have become very poor and not so much that ppl dont have anymore intterst in these activities

but so for some ppl, sl became less interesting.

Maybe one field, where you can still be creative: is landscaping. But this is always connected with land and land is expensive in sl.

So even very talented landscapers have often not more than 1 place running. Look for example Serene Footman who builds a lot of places.. but they stay only a short while in sl,. I guess, having more than one place in sl at the same time is too expensive
here his latest installation:
Rummu https://www.flickr.com/groups/rummusl/, Gainesville (129, 186, 22) - Moderat

Last edited:

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez

Jaelson Vita

Mostly Sane
SL Rez
Joined SLU
September 2008
SLU Posts
I recently started in again about 4 months ago. After a 2 year hiatus. Mesh is still mostly a foreign country to me. I've willfully ignored it for years. I never really left SL. I just stopped logging in. Although I've had a lot of FL health issues too.

It's not the place it was, but I still find a lot of new users creating accounts. Whether they stay or not is another matter. It's not the SL I knew 10 years ago, but it's still a fun and interesting place. Although I feel some of my reasons for being there are purely based on nostalgia.

Ryanna Enfield

Yes, I still care deeply about my Second Life. I have a lot of nostalgia from it. I log in almost every day in order to check up on my KittyCats and read notices. I used to be quite involved in roleplay and building, but over the years, socializing became more difficult for me. As building and creating became more and more removed from in world, so did my enjoyment of being lost for hours creating things in SL. Most of my time now is spent shopping or looking at other people's creations that they spent hundreds of hours outside SL in order to make. LL was never any good at understanding why people were drawn to SL in the first place, or what kept them coming back.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I still care, but like Free, I wonder if it still cares about me. Its been a part of my life on and off, mostly on, since 03. But I don't even make enough money in SL anymore, to pay my SL bills, and while that's not a huge issue, it does get kind of annoying to have to buy lindens again. Also, I just don't get out as much anymore. Almost all the people I knew in world are gone; one way or another. All the places I liked to hang out are gone too. So, its just like doing the stuff to maintain and occasionally hop in world and try exploring a bit.

Imaze Rhiano

I still care. Logging in almost everyday and have regular group of people that I meet everyday.

I am currently learning Blender for SL (by doing Blender Bender group's classes in SL). Hopefully I can create something super to SL someday :)
My real talent is in scripting (doing software development for living) - but I have given up scripting mostly because LSL is such awful language.