Pelosi 2, Ocasio-Cortez 0

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Personally, I'm in the Ocasio-Cortez camp, I don't think there should be anyone on the climate crisis committee who has received big contributions from oil an gas either. Or for that matter, from any other polluting industry. I think it's important to include their opinions and expertise (we need oil and gas) but I don't think that their money should buy them a favorable recommendation or any damn thing for that matter.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
The best thing our government can do right now to get this country out of far-right territory is to gently swing it back toward left-of-middle, otherwise we risk alienating people who believe we need change, would like to see change, but not all at once. We go too far left too quickly, and everyone is going to think Democrats just aren't grounded in reality.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
So, what exactly do we do to combat the coming climate crisis in 12 years? Thinking too small is going to literally kill us.
That's the thing. The idea that we shouldn't go too far left in order to avoid alienating people is a mistake. Radical change is needed Now to avoid huge disasters in the next decade or two. I'm 60 with no children and not the greatest health so don't really expect to live more than another 20 years but I wish the best for the world.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
The best thing our government can do right now to get this country out of far-right territory is to gently swing it back toward left-of-middle, otherwise we risk alienating people who believe we need change, would like to see change, but not all at once. We go too far left too quickly, and everyone is going to think Democrats just aren't grounded in reality.
Yes. Full on panic caused by Trump has made a frightening number of democrats forget that you really can't win many elections without appealing to moderates.

So, what exactly do we do to combat the coming climate crisis in 12 years? Thinking too small is going to literally kill us.
Any potential solution has to be strong enough to actually help climate change, but also something that moderates will help pass. It's simply not good enough to meet either of those goals, it has to meet both. I frankly think we're just boned...

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
A 70% tax is not "bold action". It would become the central focus of attack on the issue and it would never pass, so it's not going to combat anything.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Yes. Full on panic caused by Trump has made a frightening number of democrats forget that you really can't win many elections without appealing to moderates.

Any potential solution has to be strong enough to actually help climate change, but also something that moderates will help pass. It's simply not good enough to meet either of those goals, it has to meet both. I frankly think we're just boned...
A 70% tax is not "bold action". It would become the central focus of attack on the issue and it would never pass, so it's not going to combat anything.
Whatever bold action we take has to be paid for, so... what you're saying is, is we're fucked. Okay.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Kaimi Kyomoon

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Whatever bold action we take has to be paid for, so... what you're saying is, is we're fucked. Okay.
That's not what I'm saying - but a 70% tax is a non starter. There are other ways to find funding without picking one segment and taxing them at an exorbitant rate. You'd never get that money anyway - they would just move it off shore. They aren't paying the tax rates now, so it's an exercise in futility combined with adding ammunition to assure reform is not passed.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Respectfully, I don't see any critical change happening because people are not willing to pay for it. Hell, that's what we taxed people to pay for WWII, and we still haven't paid for Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. In a nutshell, we're fucked.

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Respectfully, yep.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Extend tax credits on renewable energy and electric cars. They are in the competitive range with fossil fuels *without* the credits these days. But credits would tilt the playing field and drive adoption. In turn, adoption will drive their prices lower, so they will stay cheaper, even if the credits are phased out in a decade or so. The current credits are phasing out this year for some electric car makers, and over the next few years for renewable energy.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I agree, something needs to be done. Unfortunately, I think the window for doing something closed a long time ago. The climate crisis is something that should have been addressed decades ago.

At any rate, doing something so radical that it is all but guaranteed to not get majority support is actually worse than not doing anything at all.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Ellie
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Saying something is never going to pass seems to be a non argument to me. With the attitudes in this country, the rich will get richer, 30% of the country will love the orange one, we will continue at war and killing people in other countries. Many people believe these are the right thing to do. Maybe a majority. That doesn't mean we shouldn't push for a minority leader or opinion. It's the only way.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Extend tax credits on renewable energy and electric cars. They are in the competitive range with fossil fuels *without* the credits these days. But credits would tilt the playing field and drive adoption. In turn, adoption will drive their prices lower, so they will stay cheaper, even if the credits are phased out in a decade or so. The current credits are phasing out this year for some electric car makers, and over the next few years for renewable energy.
That's good, but that's just cars - there is so much more that has to be done.