SCOTUS set to overturn Roe and Casey

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Seems to fit here.

Researchers find growing ‘mortality gap’ between Democratic and Republican counties (msn.com)

Mortality rates since 2001 have decreased more in Democratic counties than in Republican counties, creating a widening mortality gap, a new study shows.

The study, conducted in part by investigators from Brigham and Women’s Hospital, examined mortality rates and federal and state election data across the country from 2001 to 2019. They found a mortality gap — or a widening difference in death rates — between counties that had voted for a Democrat or a Republican in previous elections.

Specifically, mortality rates fell 22% in Democratic counties, as compared to only an 11% decrease in Republican counties.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
The official decision could be very soon.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I mean.... I'd give some credit to a dude who had to drive his girlfriend/wife across state lines then paid for the abortion... plenty of assholes just think it's her problem.
Sure, men can have opinions and experiences with abortion, but its telling that the NYT is trying to [again] make it a men's issue. In the end its not. It's not their bodies at risk. And since so many of them can, if they want, dodge the consequences of forcing the issue, then its not even a financial issue.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
Sure, men can have opinions and experiences with abortion, but its telling that the NYT is trying to [again] make it a men's issue. In the end its not. It's not their bodies at risk. And since so many of them can, if they want, dodge the consequences of forcing the issue, then its not even a financial issue.
I suspect they are trying to reach out to anti abortion men... but your point is valid. Most of the pro choice outreach I see is aimed at anti abortion men, but I really think that's NOT the most effective method...

I personally think the most effective, mostly untapped resource for reaching out to the anti abortion movement is to reach out to their wives/mothers etc. Most of the republican politicians pushing for these bans are not single, they are married to super conservative church ladies who encourage their husbands... I really wish we could do more to reach to them... you won't convince republican men this is just a woman's issue they should stay out of if their wives are encouraging them.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I suspect they are trying to reach out to anti abortion men... but your point is valid. Most of the pro choice outreach I see is aimed at anti abortion men, but I really think that's NOT the most effective method...

I personally think the most effective, mostly untapped resource for reaching out to the anti abortion movement is to reach out to their wives/mothers etc. Most of the republican politicians pushing for these bans are not single, they are married to super conservative church ladies who encourage their husbands... I really wish we could do more to reach to them... you won't convince republican men this is just a woman's issue they should stay out of if their wives are encouraging them.
We're not going to change their minds - but they aren't as big a group as they want us to think, either.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Both statements are probably true.... but I know... I'm an optimist... I think it's worth it to reach out to the other side even if very few change their minds.
I wish I thought it would work, but when dealing with a cult mentality.... I tried with an older cousin of mine before the insurection - instead of pulling her from the brink, I finally had to block her because she was cheering it on.

But I'd love it if it did work, I just don't have much faith it will.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Both statements are probably true.... but I know... I'm an optimist... I think it's worth it to reach out to the other side even if very few change their minds.
Well, in the case of my old relatives, a dose of "You taught me humanitarian_value_X when I was child, was this wrong?"

Also: I learned in <military cadets or scouting that they were all proud of and heavily involved with in the past> humanitarian_value_y. Is this organization inappropriate for children or teenagers?

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Well, in the case of my old relatives, a dose of "You taught me humanitarian_value_X when I was child, was this wrong?"
I'm feeling like I'm going to need to do this with my mom soon - not that she's gone trumpy, but in the last 5 years she's gotten a lot more conservative, but only in some things.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I'm feeling like I'm going to need to do this with my mom soon - not that she's gone trumpy, but in the last 5 years she's gotten a lot more conservative, but only in some things.
I've also found appealing to authority works wonders too, as mum isn't a Trumpy type, rather an authoritarian type of conservative. "Mum, <the health authority> states <health guidance>."

Just so long as it's an institution and isn't her 50 something babychildren telling her things, it can go over well.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
I hear you... my mom introduced me to the whole concept of women's rights and she once voted for Bill Clinton because Bob Dole was too anti abortion... now I can't convince her to care about what republicans are finally succeeding in doing. My sister and I are both really confused by her recent political stances. She even likes DeSantis.... My parents aren't socially conservative, but just seem weirdly oblivious to why my sister and I care about social issues at all...

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I hear you... my mom introduced me to the whole concept of women's rights and she once voted for Bill Clinton because Bob Dole was too anti abortion... now I can't convince her to care about what republicans are finally succeeding in doing. My sister and I are both really confused by her recent political stances. She even likes DeSantis.... My parents aren't socially conservative, but just seem weirdly oblivious to why my sister and I care about social issues at all...
Almost like it doesn’t affect her personally, so why would it matter to anyone?

eta: that beer is a bottle of Jack. We all need it.

• 1Like
Reactions: GoblinCampFollower