cable Doctor Who Renewed For Season 12

Porsupah Ree

Shy bunny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Agh, over a year until the start of s12! Still, I suppose it's not hugely longer than waiting for October.

Very good to see JW's returning, though it sounds like her commitment is only for s12 at this point - personally, I'd love to see her tenure outlast Four's. ^_^

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I'd love to see her tenure outlast Four's. ^_^
It’ll never happen. Four’s tenure for the win! So say the Khamons.

Watching an hour of commercials with small intermitten bursts of the finale now.

Porsupah Ree

Shy bunny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Free

Porsupah Ree

Shy bunny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
And the new soundtrack is now available to preorder on iTunes! 41 tracks, $12.99, coming on Jan 11 2019. ^_^

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
It’ll never happen. Four’s tenure for the win! So say the Khamons.

Watching an hour of commercials with small intermitten bursts of the finale now.
Four to be struck from the canon!

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Look up stuff about the actor sometime. He is a womanising jerk who insists on everything being about him (he was not missing from the five doctors' by accident).

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
What you say is true; he is an ass.
Yup. The 4th doctor is neat at times, but Tom Baker should never have been allowed to stay in the role. Ironically the other baker is the complete opposite ... a good actor saddled with a lousy situation (although I have heard that gets redeemed in the Big Finnish productions). His not returning for a regeneration sequence was not spiting the fans, the producers were putting it to him and he did not have much of a choice.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
To get you in the festive spirit:

Odd to have that seeing as Chibnal is breaking with tradition and not doing a x-mass special. He is doing it on new years so it is just a week but he got people irate about it.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I find it much easier to schedule watching a New Year’s special than a Christmas one. But, as an old-schooler, I see the holiday specials as another episode rather than an ancient tradition that must be preserved. Is it difficult for the producers to balance new audience and old audience expectations do you think?

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I find it much easier to schedule watching a New Year’s special than a Christmas one. But, as an old-schooler, I see the holiday specials as another episode rather than an ancient tradition that must be preserved. Is it difficult for the producers to balance new audience and old audience expectations do you think?
Not sure as the old (classic) who did not have holiday specials. Or do you mean old as in post 2005?

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I mean as in pre-2005. And more than specials there are sets and effects and music and companion dynamics ans such that have been modernized, thrown back, overwritten, and shouted out. I imagine they want to engage both audiences and often have to consider bridging the gap.

For example, the show still incorporates the deux ex sonic screwdriver. I’ve seen many complaints that sci-fi fantasy no longer requires a simplistic catch all mechanism and just as many oldbies stating that it’s an integral component and deciding factor for their patronage.

edit: spelling

Last edited:

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Wait, you didn't get the Sonic sunglasses Peter Capaldi wore? Here we go:

And by the way most fans were really distgruntled about those. They just love the sonic screwdriver, which belongs to the show like Barney to Barney, the dinosaur.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I mean as in pre-2005. And more than specials there are sets and effects and music and companion dynamics ans such that have been modernized, thrown back, overwritten, and shouted out. I imagine they want to engage both audiences and often have to consider bridging the gap.

For example, the show still incorpirates the deux ex sonic screwdriver. I’ve seen many complaints that sci-fi fantasy no longer requires a simplistic catch all mechanism and just as many oldbies stating that it’s an integral component and deciding factor for their patronage.
I consider the sonic screwdriver key to the role. Yes, a bad writer can use it as a get-out-of-jail-free card. With countless sf peeps carrying weapons though it says a lot that most of the time the closest the Doctor comes is a screwdriver ..... and yet in that universe they are considered the most dangerous character for NOT being conventionally armed.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Khamon

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I had forgotten the sonic glasses. Suppose they made no impression on me either way. And yes, Kara, I love how the Doctor imprisons the family for eternity using no conventional weapon and without speaking a word.

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
Davison and C. Baker coped quite nicely without the sonic. Honestly, it's an element that I wish the modern series had done away with. Doctor Who in general has always had a problem with "a wizard did it" style writing, and the sonic screwdriver is a common crutch for lazy writers.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Davidson, and related writers, navigated an excellent transition to modernize the Doctor and the universe for the eighties. And Baker followed suite pretty well. But dear lord look where it went from there.