Was there ever a good explanation as to why one has to work with two time zones in SL?

Kizz

Notifications are GMT, and everything else is PST. Was there ever a good explanation from LL as to why that's the case?

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
I can't say I can think of any notifications that are in GMT. What ones are you talking about?

Kizz

I just double checked and all of mine are in PST, so I dare say it's a setting you've tripped.
I've never seen them on any viewer since I've been on SL for 12 years that weren't in GMT. If there's a setting, I don't know where it is.

Bea McMahon

Sister Jazz
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I have never gotten a notice in GMT that I am aware of, in over 11 years on SL.

Kizz

I have never gotten a notice in GMT that I am aware of, in over 11 years on SL.
What viewer do you use? According to the responses to my post on the official forums, the official LL viewer always shows it in GMT....

Bea McMahon

Sister Jazz
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
What viewer do you use? According to the responses to my post on the official forums, the official LL viewer always shows it in GMT....
Firestorm. Maybe I had it in GMT on the official viewer, but I have not used that in 10 years or so.

• 1Like
Reactions: Kizz

Kizz

Ok. Curious: It's been a few years since I used Firestorm--have they finally gotten a better updating process (more like the ease of LL's updates), or is it still a multi-step process if you want to keep your settings and not have it be corrupted?

Andi

Luskwood Staff
SL Rez
Joined SLU
11-04-2010
SLU Posts
hm. odd. 11 years and I've never noticed. but I use slt in the notice it's self.

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
Realistically, there are no good reasons for SL to use Pacific time based SLT. Probably a lot of bad excuses, but, no good reasons. (^_^)y
Given that they've got to use some sort of time setting, I don't see why going with the time zone the company is based in is a bad choice.

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Given that they've got to use some sort of time setting, I don't see why going with the time zone the company is based in is a bad choice.
What's a good choice depends on your audience. WOW has server time set to various local times because they are region based, EVE uses UTC because (apart from PRC) all players are on the same server. Should SL try to be international?

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
What's a good choice depends on your audience. WOW has server time set to various local times because they are region based, EVE uses UTC because (apart from PRC) all players are on the same server. Should SL try to be international?
Does EVE use UTC because it's a single shard with an international audience, or does EVE use UTC because CCCP are based in Iceland and the local timezone is UTC +0?

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
My point is, unless you live in the specific timezone that a virtual world uses then it really shouldn't matter to you whether it's UTC, or PST, or EDST, or whatever. If it's not your local time you're still going to have to go through the #firstworldproblem of dealing with time zone conversion.

Given then that any time is no better or worse than any other, it makes sense to me that a company would choose to align the time in the virtual world they run, such that it syncs with the clocks in their offices.

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
My point is, unless you live in the specific timezone that a virtual world uses then it really shouldn't matter to you whether it's UTC, or PST, or EDST, or whatever. If it's not your local time you're still going to have to go through the #firstworldproblem of dealing with time zone conversion.
It is still easier for me to convert from UTC to my local than from some other timezone which may have summer time.

• 1Like
Reactions: Dakota Tebaldi

Hintswen

Do you live in GMT? Last I checked, I get past notifications in my local timezone but anything received while logged in I receive in SLT.