The Trial

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Might want to hold onto the house in 2022 or it'll be nothing but 2 years of straight bullshit impeachments because fuck you.
That's true, but that was going to be true regardless of the outcome of this impeachment. It was going to be true even if THIS impeachment didn't happen, because of grudges over the first one.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I don't care that the acquittal was pretty much guaranteed by those fucking complicit cowardly corrupt republican shitbags who wouldn't convict trump if he walked up and shot them in the leg right in the capitol rotunda.

I still feel very very much:

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
So, its not entirely about white power, or -wasn't-. At the time you had huge states like Massachusetts, and tiny ones like Rhode Island. I don't think that in the 1700s, that we had quite the extremes of urban vs rural, and it certainly wouldn't have been affected by southern vs northern - not yet.

Now, the real criminality is that they set a cap on the House that means it isn't adjusting properly to populations and so low pop states affectively have more voting power for their one rep than the ones from high pop states like California [California is also complicated, because since the dense population is more progressive, their senators are rarely GOP, even though there is a decent sized chunk of the state [land mass] where the population is very conservative.

Its easy to forget that bit, just like its easy to forget that there are progressives in places like Florida, [or Georgia, but I think they have reminded us quite strongly], because we keep getting asshates like Scott, Rubio and DeSantis.

• 1Like
Reactions: Pamela

Willow Matthews

I'm so sorry that what you all expected happened.

America seriously lost respect here.
Trump fucked it and the senate just cemented it.
They aren't going to look out for you. They don't give a shit about the rest of the world.

You all now have these people representing you. Your voice.
And you can do fuck all about it.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
So, its not entirely about white power, or -wasn't-. At the time you had huge states like Massachusetts, and tiny ones like Rhode Island. I don't think that in the 1700s, that we had quite the extremes of urban vs rural, and it certainly wouldn't have been affected by southern vs northern - not yet.
From what I've read, in books like The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism , Stamped from the beginning : the definitive history of racist ideas in America, and These Truths: A History of the United States, it was always about the power of the wealthy, white slave-owning, aristocracy -- that's why Virginia, not Massachusetts, supplied the first five presidents -- and then about the cotton boom, and the forced migration of enslaved black people down to the deep south to create it.

• 1Like

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
From what I've read, in books like The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism , Stamped from the beginning : the definitive history of racist ideas in America, and These Truths: A History of the United States, it was always about the power of the wealthy, white slave-owning, aristocracy -- that's why Virginia, not Massachusetts, supplied the first five presidents -- and then about the cotton boom, and the forced migration of enslaved black people down to the deep south to create it.
Yes, but the choice about the makeup of the Senate was more about big states vs smaller states. And at the time, the smaller states were new england states.

But yes, its always been about wealthy white men, slave owning or not.

• 1Like

danielravennest

SLU Posts
We also need to put some effort into the state level elections - DeSatan and Kemp are both up for re-election.
I'll be supporting Abrams here in Georgia. Kemp stole the election from her last time, and my neighbors on NextDoor are already aware of the attempts to disenfranchise voters. We probably will need the federal voting rights act to help.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I'm so sorry that what you all expected happened.

America seriously lost respect here.
Trump fucked it and the senate just cemented it.
They aren't going to look out for you. They don't give a shit about the rest of the world.

You all now have these people representing you. Your voice.
And you can do fuck all about it.
I was hoping our winning the Presidency, House, and Senate despite the odds against us, would show where the majority is, and gain us respect. Yes, there is a strong autocracy movement, which has always existed — Trump just galvanized what was there. But watch us do something about it.

• 1Like
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi and Beebo Brink

bubblesort

There are a million things the democrats could have done differently to get a conviction on Trump. The biggest, in my mind, is that they could have kept their messaging clear: This was TERRORISM. It was not a riot. It was not just some little insurrection. People keep saying 'insurrection' with this wry little boys will be boys smirk, and it pisses me off. People died. It was TERRORISM. Period.

Failure is not an option in the war on terror, is it? That's what we've always been told as they invaded and murdered half the middle east while acting like tin hat despots in Gitmo.

Failure is only an option when the terrorists are white? Or are we really having a serious war on terror right now?

The republicans need to be fed their own war on terror. I want to watch them turn blue in the face as they choke on it while we send their senators to Guantanamo Bay.

All I see are senators who are too weak to protect us from terrorism. They whine that the courts are too clogged to prosecute the off duty cops who committed terrorism, after they appointed a record number of judges. They want you to forget about the 14th amendment, and just put up with Greene in the Senate. They want you to believe that McConnell is to blame for Trump getting off the hook.

I say fuck both sides now, though. The democratic party's excuses are both hollow, and dangerous. I don't care if they are democrat, or republican, every single last senator must go. I'm in PA, I'm voting against both Toomey and Casey for this (well Toomey isn't running again, so we will see what happens). They both voted against Trump, but Trump is not the issue. The issue is that the Senate as a whole must be flushed, just like it needed flushing after the invastion of Iraq. I have never once supported anybody who voted to invade Iraq, and I never will. This is another one of those kinds of votes, except in this case, I won't support anybody who was even present. Fuck every last one of them.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
There are a million things the democrats could have done differently to get a conviction on Trump. The biggest, in my mind, is that they could have kept their messaging clear: This was TERRORISM. It was not a riot. It was not just some little insurrection. People keep saying 'insurrection' with this wry little boys will be boys smirk, and it pisses me off. People died. It was TERRORISM. Period.

Failure is not an option in the war on terror, is it? That's what we've always been told as they invaded and murdered half the middle east while acting like tin hat despots in Gitmo.

Failure is only an option when the terrorists are white? Or are we really having a serious war on terror right now?

The republicans need to be fed their own war on terror. I want to watch them turn blue in the face as they choke on it while we send their senators to Guantanamo Bay.

Because all I see is senators who are too weak to protect us from terrorism. They whine that the courts are too clogged to prosecute the off duty cops who committed terrorism, after they appointed a record number of judges. They want you to forget about the 14th amendment, and just put up with Greene in the Senate. They want you to believe that McConnell is to blame for Trump getting off the hook.

I say fuck both sides now, though. The democratic party's excuses are both hollow, and dangerous. I don't care if they are democrat, or republican, every single last senator must go. I'm in PA, I'm voting against both Toomey and Casey for this (well Toomey isn't running again, so we will see what happens). They both voted against Trump, but Trump is not the issue. The issue is that the Senate as a whole must be flushed, just like it needed flushing after the invastion of Iraq. I have never once supported anybody who voted to invade Iraq, and I never will. This is another one of those kinds of votes, except in this case, I won't support anybody who was even present. Fuck every last one of them.
So who are you planning on voting for and why do you say they'll be any better than Sen Casey, the Democrat who voted for impeachment?

What are you saying that the Democrats in the Senate should have done differently to ensure a conviction?

bubblesort

So who are you planning on voting for and why do you say they'll be any better than Sen Casey, the Democrat who voted for impeachment?

What are you saying that the Democrats in the Senate should have done differently to ensure a conviction?
I'll let the lawyers squabble over details like that. The process is their problem, not mine. I'm disgusted with the outcome.

My only move at this point is to withhold support for terrorists and their enablers, in both the democratic and republican parties, and I fully intend to do that.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I'll let the lawyers squabble over details like that. The process is their problem, not mine. I'm disgusted with the outcome.

My only move at this point is to withhold support for terrorists and their enablers, in both the democratic and republican parties, and I fully intend to do that.
The detail, as I understand it, is that the US constitution requires a two-thirds majority to impeach a president, which the Democrats don't currently have.

I'd have thought the solution to that was to try to elect more Democrats and fewer Republicans, but I'm sure what you're saying makes more sense to you than it does to me.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
There was no route that would lead to a conviction in the Senate. Possibly if Trump had spoken and given a particularly unhinged performance, but the Democrats could not have forced that. Republican Senators are more afraid of a primary fight in their own elections than anything else. That they managed to get seven Republicans to vote to convict is a minor miracle.

Last edited:

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
There was no way that the traitors were going to convict him. Short of holding a gun to their heads (terrorism) it wasn't going to happen. Both houses of congress hold these traitors. They have been very successful at negating our voices, which is one reason they are and were so very irate at the election outcome. They have been performing a naked grab for ultimate power and for some time now.

I've been thinking on this and the Supreme Court is getting a whole lot of my hate now. Citizens United and the gutting of the Voting Rights Act have doomed us, but hey if people STILL don't understand FPTP and wish to help elect Republicans, then they have learned absolutely nothing. This grab for power isn't over. It's going to end one of two ways; either we will completely lose our democracy even as they pretend we still have it or it will end in bloodshed. They aren't leaving any room for democracy to function.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Ashiri

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
The shittiest part of all this is that it just fuels all the smug assholes in the base.

It's "Totally Exonerated" all fucking over again.

bubblesort

The detail, as I understand it, is that the US constitution requires a two-thirds majority to impeach a president, which the Democrats don't currently have.

I'd have thought the solution to that was to try to elect more Democrats and fewer Republicans, but I'm sure what you're saying makes more sense to you than it does to me.
More democrats would just mean more people trying to act like they give a shit when they don't.

We all saw the evidence. The only way to not get a conviction is to not try. There are a million different ways they could have gotten it, but they didn't do it, because at best, they do nothing. At worst, they did not want a conviction.

I'm tired of trying to split hairs with DNC leadership. They either failed or they didn't. That's all that matters. If they don't deliver, they don't get my vote.

Go ahead, try to explain this in such a way that Pelosi and Schumer are faultless. Try to explain how their case was perfect in every way, and that ole meanie McConnell ruined it all. That's my favorite bedtime story. In the end, though, that's all it is. It's a fairy tale we tell ourselves to help us believe that we support good people, when we don't.