Nobody cares about food.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I’m searching out beet recipes at the moment and I’ve been scrolling down to the comments as one does, and the number of times “hubby” is mentioned is wild. Is hubby > husband? Is this really a word?

Anyways, if you have suggestions for a simple side using beets (not salad with goat cheese or walnuts just the vinaigrette type) please share.
I frequently make roasted beets. I like to buy both the orange and the red beats because that makes the dish really pretty. Basically I just peel and then cut 6 to 8 beets into quarters and then put them in a baking dish that I've coated with olive oil. I lightly sprinkle them with some more olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper. Then I pull the leaves off of a fresh sprig of rosemary and sprinkle the leaves on the beets (about a 1/4 cup). Dry rosemary is ok but fresh is better. Cover with a lid or foil and bake in the oven at 350 degrees about 20 minutes, then take the lid off and bake (or better yet use the roast function if your oven has it) at 400 degrees for another 15 minutes, until your beets are tender when you push a knife in them and have a nice brown caramelization (this makes them very sweet).

Another variation to this dish is to add goat cheese on top after you pull of the lid or foil and roast them with the cheese for about 15 minutes. Very tasty.

I planted beets in my garden in November and they seem to be doing well so far so maybe I'll be able to make this dish with fresh home grown beets in February or March when they mature if I'm lucky and we don't have any hot spells this winter. Beets and carrots only grow roots when the weather is under 80 degrees. If it gets warmer than 80 they will put all their energy into growing the green instead of the root.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

I've never been more frightened of anything in my life.
Raisins on a pork chop aren't bad with the right kind of sauce. Raisins in a burger are just gross. And raisins in beanie-weanie is an abomination, a cardinal sin against food that earns the transgressor a one-way ticket to the depths of hell!

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I went to the grocery store earlier to get some sweetened condensed milk to make a lemon icebox pie (1st attempt). What was I thinking? On the 23rd of December... Anyway, I get there but there’s only everything else except. Evaporated milk, condensed, dulce, etc. but no sweetened. I’m checking all the labels, just in case there’s sugar, but no. I had forgotten my phone and at this point I was confused, sweetened? unsweetened? Does this exist? I can’t ask anyone, too busy, so I just leave and go to a small fruit/veggies place nearby.

I ask, they’re not sure, but yes, finally they have some hidden in a corner! Yay! Only one brand/choice but it says ‘sweetened’ on it so I’m sure. But... the recipe says 2x14 ounces. I forgot to check before leaving for metric, and I don’t have my phone, so I ask the guy, “300 ml can same as 14 ounces right?” (Often the container is the same used in US and Canada) and he takes out his calculator and says no, it’s about one litre/14 ounces. I’m like What?! It’s just one pie. So anyway, I chance it and get two 300ml cans. I figure I’ve got cream cheese at home, I’ll improvise. Their eggs are too expensive so I skip them (I have seven at home, again I’ll improvise... but this is getting weird) I’m also making «citrons confits» (lemon rind candy?) but they don’t have parchment paper or even wax. Whatever *waves hands*

Everything is cooling right now, I think it’s ok. I was able to fill three small jars of the lemon syrup. I’ll be giving (leaving at the door) those jars along with the rind thingies. I don’t think I’m going to make those very often...

TL;DR
I wish they would all use the same system of measurement or include both, and also, for sweetened condensed milk, could the same term be used by everyone? Grrr...

All this pots and pans kitchen stuff is making me feel like a housewife. 🥴

The pie better be good. I’ve never tasted one before so I won’t be too critical.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Anything special you all are cooking/baking for the holidays?

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

I'm not sure I know the difference.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Sid

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
More food truths.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Anything special you all are cooking/baking for the holidays?
This is my Great Grandmothers Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato dish.

Super simple. I cut up a small squash and one or two sweet potatoes and then add a few whole cloves of garlic, fresh rosemary & Italian parsley from the garden, salt, pepper and then olive oil. First I roast it covered and then uncover it for the last 20 minutes.

• 1Like
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale