Confederate flag/statue banning thread

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

I'm still reading the report, but so far it seems, as Stephen Bush suggests in the article I quoted above, a dispassionate historical account of the roles played by slavery and imperialism in the English, and later British, economies, with particular reference to how they affected the English country house -- the money to build and furnish places like the fictional Downton Abbey had to come from somewhere, after all.

There's nothing in the tone of the pieces to suggest "a woke agenda," whatever that might be, and none of it is particularly surprising to anyone who knows anything about C18th and C19th British history -- it simply gives detail to what I learned at school back when we had the sort of "real" exams like G.C.E. O levels, the sort of "real education" to which so many Conservatives say we should return.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The Virginia Military Institute (VMI) has taken the first step in its thousand-mile journey to correct a shameful history of systemic racism. Monday, the public military college began work on removing the statue of noted white supremacist traitor Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, a general on the losing side of the Civil War.

A crew was preparing to haul away the statue, which cadets were expected to salute until several years ago. I presume they finally figured out the statue wasn't alive.

• 1Like
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi and Innula Zenovka

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I can't see Stonewall Jackson's name without hearing "Jubilation T. Cornpone" playing in my head.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I can't see Stonewall Jackson's name without hearing "Jubilation T. Cornpone" playing in my head.
During my Museum Studies internship, I was told to look out for a 1” square scrap of wool cloth. As Stonewall Jackson lay dying, the lady of the house that they were using as a makeshift surgery took the coat sleeve that the doctors had cut off and snipped it into squares that were later mounted and sold.

I did find it, as well as a letter he had written home in the 1850s asking for money. Apparently his skill as a military tactician was offset by his inability to mange his personal finances.

• 1Interesting
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
This is post-truth, post-shame, commentary.

I'm really not sure how to describe it. It's argumentation in deliberate bad faith in a "We none of us believe a word I'm saying, but that doesn't matter, because I can get away with it, and that's the whole point of it" sort of way -- like Putin issuing denials about poisonings and defenestrations at home or abroad.

It makes me think of 1984 -- reality is whatever the party says it is. It felt like listening to a party orator who would be described as a "doubleplusgood duckspeaker."

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
A statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee was removed from the U.S. Capitol early Monday, a move Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam hailed as an “important step forward for our Commonwealth and our country.”

Virginia provided the Lee statue to the Capitol. In its place will stand a statue of civil rights icon Barbara Rose Johns.
“The Confederacy is a symbol of Virginia’s racist and divisive history, and it is past time we tell our story with images of perseverance, diversity, and inclusion,” Northam said in a statement. “I look forward to seeing a trailblazing young woman of color represent Virginia in the U.S. Capitol, where visitors will learn about Barbara Johns’ contributions to America and be empowered to create positive change in their communities just like she did.”

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
This is post-truth, post-shame, commentary.

I'm really not sure how to describe it. It's argumentation in deliberate bad faith in a "We none of us believe a word I'm saying, but that doesn't matter, because I can get away with it, and that's the whole point of it" sort of way -- like Putin issuing denials about poisonings and defenestrations at home or abroad.
Yeah - I wish I knew what to call it too (honestly, to me references to Orwell are cliche). But sure, growing up I saw any number of white people in their public face pay lip service to modern inclusive attitudes about race and then go home and unreservedly bitch about "the (n-words)" in private company. It's not cognitive dissonance or anything like that, it's just this unspoken agreement to lie whenever strangers are within earshot.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
TN GOPers Push To Sack Commission That Voted To Remove KKK Leader’s Bust
Just days after the Tennessee Historical Commission voted overwhelmingly to remove a bust of Nathan Bedford Forrest, the Confederate general and first Ku Klux Klan grand wizard, several Republicans state lawmakers are pushing to replace the entire commission with new members.

The bust of Bedford Forrest, which sits in the state capitol, has been the subject of protests for nearly all of its short history: Though the slave trader and KKK leader died in 1877, the bust of him was installed in 1978.

The state historical commission voted 25-1 last week to remove the bust after a five-hour meeting and years of protest. The bust and two others would be transferred from the Capitol to the the Tennessee State Museum.
Republican lawmakers sprung into action the following day, scheduling the bill to replace the commission for a committee hearing this week.