Nobody cares about food.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
The traditional Christmas bread in Germany and NL: Kerststol - Weinachtstollen.
I guess not for Dakota.

My grandmother on my mom's side used to bake that every Christmas. It was sooo good!

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Kerststol is very good indeed, but also (unfortunately for a diabetic like me) a sugar and carb bomb as well.
I read that Aldi ( aka Trader Joe in parts of the US) sells them in some other countries as well. I don't know if so in the US.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Kerststol is very good indeed, but also (unfortunately for a diabetic like me) a sugar and carb bomb sd well.
I read that Aldi ( aka Trader Joe in parts of the US) sells them in some other countries as well. I don't know if so in the US.
Aldi and Trader Joe are two different things in the US. We have both in Columbus.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
The two brothers Albrecht, founders of the Aldi company had different opinions about how to continue business. So they devided the 'world' and each went on in their part. Aldi Nord (north) and Aldi Süd (south). The Netherlands is all Aldi North. 3 km from my home is the German border and there it is Aldi Süd territory.
Although the stores look familiar, they both have completely different stock and products.
When the companies expanded to the US one of them went under the name Aldi (Aldi Süd), the other under the name of Trader Joe (Aldi Nord).
Although Trader Joe was originally an American company. Aldi Nord bought it over.
The brothers Albrecht both died as multi billionaires.

Last edited:

Plurabelle Laszlo

SL Rez
Joined SLU
The traditional Christmas bread in Germany and NL: Kerststol - Weinachtstollen.
I guess not for Dakota.

I took over the tradition to bake Stollen for the family after my grandma died. I am following the family recipe that has been handed down for several generations. My version, handwritten by my great grand aunt, starts with the words "First day: Soak raisins in rum.... " because, well, it takes three days to bake it lol. You also need lots of room in the kitchen and gigantic bowls for the yeast dough when you want to provide all family branches with stollen. And when finished, it should sit for at least four, better six weeks, means you start baking it in November when you want to have it on Christmas.

It's also absolutely necessary to use bitter almonds (our version is not made with marzipan, but it really needs that marzipan-y taste of bitter almond, and artificial aroma is just a no). In some regions it s really difficult (or used to be difficult) to get them, because they are toxic when consumed raw. I remember running from pharmacy to pharmacy because i was told that s the only place where they are sold in my town - and they refused to sell them to me, apparently suspecting I would want to poison my family.

When I went through old letters I realized how important this tradition really was. My great grandmother, her mother, their aunts and sisters and daughters, they all worked hard every winter to get all the necessary ingredients, even in wartimes, or after the war. They used to carry 12 or more unbaked loafs to the local bakery because their ovens werent big enough for all the stollen they made. And when it was difficult to get all the ingredients in the GDR, the Western part of my family used to send butter etc. to the family in the East, and they sent us stollens back.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I’m searching out beet recipes at the moment and I’ve been scrolling down to the comments as one does, and the number of times “hubby” is mentioned is wild. Is hubby > husband? Is this really a word?

Anyways, if you have suggestions for a simple side using beets (not salad with goat cheese or walnuts just the vinaigrette type) please share.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Crush. Ferment. Distill. Flavor. It's called schnapps.

• 1Like
Reactions: Isabeau

Maggy Hazelnut

Cat Herder
Joined SLU
March 2009
SLU Posts
I’m searching out beet recipes at the moment and I’ve been scrolling down to the comments as one does, and the number of times “hubby” is mentioned is wild. Is hubby > husband? Is this really a word?

Anyways, if you have suggestions for a simple side using beets (not salad with goat cheese or walnuts just the vinaigrette type) please share.
Yes, hubby is husband & it's really a word. :) Sorry the only suggestion I have for beets is to throw them in the garbage can or compost pile. haha

• 1Like
Reactions: Sid

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Just use awfully big potatoes and your fine.

It is just like when my doctor told me years ago, that I can have only one alcoholic beverage per day.
At the moment I'm enjoying the one from August 8, 2033.
Just one alcoholic beverage per day. I think I can manage that.

• 1ROFL
Reactions: Sid

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Raisins have the same effect as pineapple. It can add a fresh and sweet touch to a dish.

• 1Agree
  • 1Disagree
Reactions: Free and Isabeau