Coronavirus Updates

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

There are big logistical problems, though, getting the vaccine to high-risk patients in residential care of one sort or another, so I'm not sure how rapid the deployment will be.

They'll almost certainly have approved the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine (assuming it does get approved, of course) by the time my cohort features in the vaccination planning, so I expect that's what I will be offered when the time comes.
Also, it's Johnson* who made the announcement, so, who really knows.

*not as unreliable as Trump, but really.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Also, it's Johnson* who made the announcement, so, who really knows.

*not as unreliable as Trump, but really.
I don't think Professor Van-Tam would have let him say that if it wasn't certain, though. And given Johnson's problems with his restive MPs right now, he wouldn't risk raising their hopes like that if he thought he might have to dash them next week

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I don't think Professor Van-Tam would have let him say that if it wasn't certain, though. And given Johnson's problems with his restive MPs right now, he wouldn't risk raising their hopes like that if he thought he might have to dash them next week
In a sane and reasonable world, absolutely. I’ll be over here not holding my breath. 🤪

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

The Royal College of Nursing warned the change in the priority groups was leaving NHS staff confused. “We understand why care home staff and residents are being given top priority given the level of risk they are facing. But mixed messages around when health and care staff will receive the vaccine is creating a significant amount of confusion on the frontline,” said Mike Adams, its director for England.

Last edited:

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤

Politicians, health professionals and commentators in Europe and the US have questioned Britain’s decision to fast-track approval of a coronavirus vaccine and criticised what some saw as the jingoistic tone of its announcement.
The UK on Wednesday became the first country in the world to approve a Covid-19 vaccine when the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Authority (MHRA) granted the Pfizer/BioNTech shot emergency authorisation for clinical use.
But several countries have suggested a longer and more thorough regulatory process may prove preferable, arguing that more time scrutinising trial data fully will minimise risk and increase public confidence in the vaccine’s safety.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Ordinarily you have to toss the party halfling into the next chamber of the dungeon to see what happens. If this one wants to jump in first, well, if the last decade taught me anything, if someone screams DON'T TELL ME WHAT I CAN OR CANNOT DO, BRO, just let them smack themself in the face with that shovel.

Luisa Land

"Fauci apologises for casting doubt over rigour of British vaccine regulators
Dr Fauci went on to apologise for casting doubt over the rigour of UK regulators who approved the Pfizer vaccine against Covid-19.
"There really has been a misunderstanding, and for that I'm sorry, and I apologise for that," he said in an interview with BBC News, after his earlier comments on CBS received prominent coverage in the UK.
"I do have great faith in both the scientific community and the regulatory community in the UK," Fauci said.
"I did not mean to apply any sloppiness (to the UK regulatory process) even though it came out that way," he said.
"So if it did, I just want to set the record straight. I have a great deal of confidence in what the UK does both scientifically and from a regulatory standpoint."

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Sure, not teachers, or people who don't get to work behind plexiglass shields.... but bankers.... >.<

bubblesort

I really hope this works. If it doesn't, we won't have the kind of vaccination rates we need for a decade. If the queen dies from some manufacturing screw up, that will destroy confidence in all future covid vaccines, even if they make a better one.

bubblesort

A whistleblower data scientist just got raided by police, with guns drawn, for being accused if hacking the Florida government's computer systems.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Who will get the vaccine first in the land of free and brave? Bankers, of course!

In the UK,

The priority list for the first phase is as follows:
1 - Residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
2 - All those aged 80 and over. Frontline health and social care workers
3 - All those aged 75 and over
4 - All those aged 70 and over. Clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
5 - All those aged 65 and over
6 - All individuals aged 16-64 with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality
7 - All those aged 60 and over
8 - All those aged 55 and over
9 - All those aged 50 and over

Two groups will not receive the vaccine:
1 - Pregnant women
2 - Most children under 16

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

The graph is part of the vaccine efficacy data submitted by Pfizer to the FDA. The blue line is number of COVID-19 cases over time for people who received the vaccine. The red line is the number of COVID cases over time for people who received a placebo (control). It looks like somewhere around day 10-14 the vaccine fully takes effect. After that, only a handful of infections occur to those vaccinated over the remainder of the test period.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

People with a history of “significant” allergic reactions should not be given the new coronavirus vaccine, regulators have warned, after two NHS staff who received jabs yesterday became unwell.
Both are recovering “after appropriate treatment”, health officials confirmed, but the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) said the Pfizer-Biontech jab should not be used for anyone with “a history of a significant allergic reaction to a vaccine, medicine or food” as a precaution while it investigates.
That will include anyone advised to carry an adrenaline autoinjector, such as an EpiPen.
Evernote link because paywall