2022 Midterm Elections

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Evernote link because paywall

The America that elected Joe Biden is well-educated, diverse, and an economic powerhouse. The America that supports Trump is economically less than half its size, heavily dependent on Biden’s United States and, self-destructively, it seeks to undermine the sources of well-being on which it relies.

According to a new study of election results from the Brookings Institution, of the 96 percent of all counties from which we currently have results, the 2,497 that Trump won are responsible for 29 percent of U.S. economic output. The 477 counties that Biden won equal 70 percent of GDP. As the study reports, “Blue and red America reflect two very different economies: one oriented to diverse, often college-educated workers in professional digital services occupations, and the other whiter, less educated and more dependent on traditional industries.”

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
This may be of interest

Yup, until half or more of the democratic party stops being snooty assholes, we're kind of fucked.
I just would love to get back to the days where voting for a platform instead of a party or against a bad person instead of for a good one, is the norm....

Sean Gorham

Verti's Minion Again!
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
2007-09-27
SLU Posts
I wouldn't get my hopes up for the Democratic Party. They're just as much in the pockets of corporations as the Republicans are. The system is functioning as intended. So long as our choices are limited to the lesser of two evils, our government isn't going to get much better.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Essence Lumin

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I wouldn't get my hopes up for the Democratic Party. They're just as much in the pockets of corporations as the Republicans are. The system is functioning as intended. So long as our choices are limited to the lesser of two evils, our government isn't going to get much better.
Don't confuse the DNC with individual voters. I'm a member of my county party, but in no way a tool of the corporations. In fact, I'm working on industrial cooperatives, which would be literal ownership of the means of production. They would function like electric, farm, and bank (credit union) co-ops, which are owned by their members, but oriented towards making & building things.

The huge amounts raised this year from individual small donations is also a shift in power vs the top-down political organizations.

Sean Gorham

Verti's Minion Again!
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
2007-09-27
SLU Posts
No, you're absolutely right, Daniel, and I should have made that distinction. In my case "the Democratic Party" refers to the career corporate politicians in charge. But I also think a positive future lies outside the party, not within it. Reform hasn't gotten us very far, at least from where I sit, and so long as corporations keep lining the pockets of the people in charge (of both parties, sometimes by the same corporations), I don't think we'll see a lot of real reform.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I don't know if it's a relevant comparison, but I'm thinking about how, a generation ago, a friend of mine was involved in setting up the Southall Black Sisters, which campaigned around domestic violence and women's rights in the South Asian community in Southall and throughout the UK.

This often put them at odds with the local Labour-controlled local authorities, where the party was dominated by the Indian Workers' Association, a very traditional, male-dominated, group, who hated these young women "bringing shame on the community" by, as they saw it washing the community's dirty linen in public.

Meanwhile, my friend and her fellow activists needed support and funding from the local government, and also needed Labour MPs to help them with their work around nationality and immigration questions. This they did, not by participating directly in Labour politics, but by working individual councillors, MPs and party activists who supported them, and by encouraging their supporters to make their voices heard in the Party

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Enemy of the people, Antifa scum, peacefully showing support (Proud Boys?), every patriot must come together, OUR president.

About the only thing they got right is that the left is indeed afraid of people like this and everything they stand for.

ETA: I knew and said, in 2015, that Trump and company would not limit their hatred to immigrants, that eventually that group would grow to include democrats and any other person standing in their way. This pattern has happened so often in history that it isn't that hard to spot.

Last edited: