Nobody Cares: Technology-only Edition

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Despite the factually wrong and grossly racist text, beta is closed and it is now ready to be sold.

Typical.

• 2Facepalm
Reactions: Tracer and Govi

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Ever felt the craving for a Hackintosh without the need of butchering half of your system? Fear no longer, here's an easy solution for this problem: macOS Simple KVM!

Now what the heck is this you might ask, and what does it require? It's just a bunch of Linux shell scripts, which will download the macOS of your choice (~500 MB) from official Apple servers and install it in a virtual machine on your host running Linux. That's all about it, it's safe and highly automated.

So you do need a CPU with virtualization support builtin, which most modern CPUs nowadays have, and some Linux distribution with KVM support plus internet connection and around 40 GB of free storage. That's all you need.

And if you are feeling lucky, then you can even passthrough your hardware to the virtual machine making that damn thing just fly high... in fact it can run faster as a Mac Pro, if your hardware is capable of, for a fraction of the price of a Mac.

And here's a nice picture of macOS Catalina running in a small VM on an AMD Ryzen CPU just after installation, so without modification on e.g. screen size yet:

Last edited:

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
One conceptual ancestor of GPT3 from the Usenet era was a Markov Chain bot called "Mark V. Shaney" which was used to make trolling more efficient.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Over the past few years, streetlights in the city of San Diego have become "smart," equipped with a slate of cameras and sensors that report back data on the city and its denizens. Following protests from privacy activists, the city mayor ordered the network disabled for the time being—but it turns out that city staff can't turn the cameras off just yet without plunging the city into literal darkness.

Thousands of streetlight cameras were supposed to be disabled this fall, the Voice of San Diego reports, but there is no software switch for doing so. In lieu of disabling the cameras, the vendor responsible for them at the time instead simply cut off the city's network access to the devices.
No off switch. Great design.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Rest assured it's running quite well on my off the shelf PC hardware under Linux. Since I am cursed plagued gifted with quite a very high end 2019 MacBook Pro as working equipment being handed out by my company, and have to work with this day by day I have no need to run the KVM nor do I want it.

Last edited:
  • 1Beer
Reactions: Monica Dream

Monica Dream

Jesus -he knows me ...and he knows I'm right!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
Explanation: OS X is slow. Like seriously dog fucking slow compared other OS's like Windows and Linux. Now on top of that add the cost of emulating each and every instruction inside of a program (so one instruction asked for by macos requires the host computer to do approximately 3 instructions to emulate it).

Add on top of that the need for accelerated graphics by macos.

And you're talking about something that would actually be slower than watching paint dry.

Now, there are ways to kinda-sorta mitigate all this (PCI pass-through, for one. HAXM or other hardware-based cpu emulation assistance for another) but even with all of those...

eeewwww.

Like I say, not even with your dick. :sick:

Monica Dream

Jesus -he knows me ...and he knows I'm right!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
Rest assured it's running quite well on my off the shelf PC hardware under Linux.

I mean, far be it from me to cast stones. I just got through rebuilding netbsd 9.1 and MATE from source in virtualbox.

All I'm saying is ...eewww. :D

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Bleh, Thanks to Youtube DL becoming defunct, I am back to using OBS to screen record videos for archiving.

What a pain in the ass it is too.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Bleh, Thanks to Youtube DL becoming defunct, I am back to using OBS to screen record videos for archiving.

If you are looking for the copy that was on github it is still on pypi.org

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
If you are looking for the copy that was on github it is still on pypi.org
I have a copy, it just doesn't seem to function anymore. There was a split called youtube-dl that was supposed to fix it but it seems to fail too.

Maybe I will dig a bit more.

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez

While youtube video and audio downloader (dev edt) (the add on I used) no longer works, as of this morning, easy youtube video downloader express is still working fine.

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez
While youtube video and audio downloader (dev edt) (the add on I used) no longer works, as of this morning, easy youtube video downloader express is still working fine.
Update: As of this moment, my first choice of software is now working again.

• 2Yay!
Reactions: Essence Lumin and Govi