USA Election Day 2018

Brian

In case anyone had a doubt -

It is still election day in Florida.

Everyone knew there were still enough votes that had to be counted to narrow gaps and possibly even change elections. There were record numbers of provisional ballots and mail-ins. The largest counties, of course the same that always have the slowest results and piss everyone off, are heavily Democratic Palm Beach and Broward. My understanding is that nothing going on now even involves recounted votes - that hasn't even begun yet. But everything that left requires hand counting.

The ~50,000 vote lead that Scott had Tuesday night has gone down in the last 2 days to ~15,000 now, and still votes are not all counted. As it is now, the law requires a hand recount instead of machine recount because it has fallen within .25% difference. (And votes are still not all counted). DeSantis' lead is almost down to mandatory recount. The votes have actually flipped the results for Agriculture Commissioner, giving the win to Democrat Nikki Fried.

Governor Scott has filed suit against the elections officials to force them to stop counting votes and given public statements that Democrats are trying to steal the election. Senator Rubio is joining in with the barking because he's such a good lap dog.
And all of the votes still aren't counted yet from the most heavily populated counties which are Democratic voter strongholds.

Plenty of places to see the fireworks going off, but I'll just throw in one link.
Why Democrats think they can still win Florida

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
If Florida finally does to the Republicans (legally!) what it did to the Democrats (not so legally!) back in 2000... oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy...

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I just got into it with an RWNJ on Twitter in an argument over alleged voter fraud in Florida that lasted all of two minutes before he blocked me. Judging by his Twitter handle, I think he's associated with Gab. Meh.

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
That's the risk you take with gerrymandering. The process only works by balancing your vote on a knife edge, it only takes small swings and mild population shifts for everything to end in tears.

Archer

Arch Enemy
SL Rez
Joined SLU
It is just mind-boggling that in this day and age our election system is so incredibly screwed up!

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
That's the risk you take with gerrymandering. The process only works by balancing your vote on a knife edge, it only takes small swings and mild population shifts for everything to end in tears.
The other problem is the presumption that people will vote a given ticket based on their gender, skin color, economic status, religious affiliation, or other random factor that doesn't necessarily indicate their political views. Gerrymandering reflects a belief that people vote in mobs under pier pressure.

Social media is cutting through gerrymandered districts like butter.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Doesn't that depend on how the gerrymandering is done?

One of the main arguments whenever our (non-partisan) Boundary Commission in the UK proposes re-drawing some constituency boundaries is the extent to which their proposals will turn (for example) a group of four neighbouring constituencies of which one is a moderately safe Labour seat, one a moderately safe Conservative one and two are marginal into (for example) one rock solid Conservative Seat, one rock solid Labour seat, one moderately safe Conservative seat and one marginal.

While I'm willing to believe that our Boundary Commission's recommendations aren't guided by partisan considerations, I can see plenty of ways ideologically-driven boundary setters could give one side or the other a great advantage, proof against all but very strong swings, in many areas.