Myst and Riven are being reimagined in Unreal Engine, for PC & VR

Adeon Writer

I don't gush much about it here, but Myst is my absolute favorite game series of all time. I could nerd out about it and it's novels and lore in the same way Trekkies or Tolkienite can about Star Trek or Lord of the Rings. But I spare everyone.

I am absolutely ecstatic.

I came over to Second Life from Myst Online, along with a pretty big crowd because Gametap shut it down and we needed somewhere to congregate. (I know Nalatase was part of that group, but most others seem to have splintered off by now.) Heck, it's the reason my last name is Writer.

Posting here in case there's anyone left that might not know about it.

Myst on Steam
Myst on GoG

Oh and it's coming out for Oculus Quest as well I guess.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
So is this basically RealMyst for Windows 10?

• 1LOL
Reactions: Govi

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Storage: 20 GB available space
Just to put this into context: The back of my Myst 10th Anniversary DVD Edition set, which contains Myst, Riven, and Exile (none of which I've been able to play since I upgraded from Windows XP :( ) says it needs 400 MB of disk space for all three games.

• 1LOL
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Archer and Fionalein
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Just to put this into context: The back of my Myst 10th Anniversary DVD Edition set, which contains Myst, Riven, and Exile (none of which I've been able to play since I upgraded from Windows XP :( ) says it needs 400 MB of disk space for all three games.
The original Myst needed a mere 4 MB of hard drive space. It would run on Windows 3.1 and 95, but not 98.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The original Myst needed a mere 4 MB of hard drive space.
A bit of misdirection, since it mainly ran off the CD-ROM.

4 MB is how much RAM it needed, as well!

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Essence Lumin

Imnotgoing Sideways

Puts the FU in Cute
Only facebook subscription trap VR it seems... :confusedcat:
Since it's on Steam, I'd expect it would work on Vive and SteamVR. The whole Facebook thing is on the Occulus Quest. Even darker than that, the OQ REQUIRES logging in to a FB account. So, FB ban = blacked out headset. (-_-)
So is this basically RealMyst for Windows 10?
I'm optimistically hoping it's a "4K" game and the massive install size is due to massive texture files. (^_^)

Adeon Writer

Only facebook subscription trap VR it seems... :confusedcat:
Nope! It's been confirmed it will support every headset.

It will have some limited time-exclusivity on Quest first (which, from the screenshots, they had to really roll back the graphics on that version to get it on the mobile chipset) but then it'll be out on Steam in full detail later this year.

I'm optimistically hoping it's a "4K" game and the massive install size is due to massive texture files. (^_^)
The not-so-encoded codename for the game was "UnrealMyst", and if their previous game, Obduction, was any indication... yeah they like to go overboard on detail with the unreal engine.

But what I'm REALLY excited about is they also confirmed that afterward they will be giving Riven the same treatment. Because Riven is my favorite game of all time.
Yeaaaah... Obduction also is listed as 20 GB on steam as well. Though when installing it it only says it will use 13.7. Still pretty chonky.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Govi

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
But what I'm REALLY excited about is they also confirmed that afterward they will be giving Riven the same treatment. Because Riven is my favorite game of all time.
*glues VR headset to face* Sorry guys, I've gone to live in Riven forever now.

• 1Aww
  • 1LOL
Reactions: Isabeau and Govi

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU