How COVID-19 is affecting society

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Covidiots strike again

A holidaymaker who did not self-isolate after returning from a trip abroad was partly responsible for the “extreme” rise in coronavirus cases in Bolton, its council leader, has said.

Greenhalgh said the area’s high rate had been linked back to pubs in the town and a “cohort of people” who refused to follow the guidance.

The Conservative councillor told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “We had somebody who did not adhere to quarantine, did not stay the 14 days, literally went on a pub crawl with a number of mates.”

He said the person, who tested positive two days after the night out, had visited a number of premises which led to “a large number of individual transmissions”.

This is why, although our pubs, restaurants and coffee shops have been open since early July, I haven't risked entering one.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
You don't have to be intelligent to play golf.
45 has proven that a long time ago already.
Westwood confirms that one more time.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I fucking hate virus deniers and covidiots! I just can't with this one, for reasons:

When you get these sorts of numbered replies a response with this sort of graphic can be a thing to do:

No text in your tweet so if it is a bot, an operator will have to come see what it is. And read it.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Here's another:

If I find the blog page with lots of these I'll post it or message you if you're okay with that.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Here's another:

If I find the blog page with lots of these I'll post it or message you if you're okay with that.
That would be great! I usually encounter a lot of bots when I plunge the depths of a Trump tweet. This one has over 15 hundred followers, and is following more than four thousand though, which is a bit unusual for a bot.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
That would be great! I usually encounter a lot of bots when I plunge the depths of a Trump tweet. This one has over 15 hundred followers, and is following more than four thousand though, which is a bit unusual for a bot.
That might mean a bot that is actually curated. :D

• 1Like
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Is it? I don't know how these things work, but I'm thinking that if I were running that sort of social media operation, I'd have all my dummy accounts following each other, so they amplify their own tweets and re-tweets.

This looks like Russian Troll Farm profile to me

• 2Agree
Reactions: Govi and Sovereignty

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Is it? I don't know how these things work, but I'm thinking that if I were running that sort of social media operation, I'd have all my dummy accounts following each other, so they amplify their own tweets and re-tweets.

This looks like Russian Troll Farm profile to me

That's a good point. Most of the MAGAt bots I've encountered had low, even single-digit, follower counts. This one looks to have been around a while. Certainly long enough to have come up with a profile by now.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
That's where the graphics I posted come into play. If a bot gets a reply, and there's no text to automated respond to, an operator will need to come by and be called a sucker for selling out his country. In Russian.

I mean, I think you're tilting at windmills but if it's how you get your clicks, here's some ammunition.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
That's where the graphics I posted come into play. If a bot gets a reply, and there's no text to automated respond to, an operator will need to come by and be called a sucker for selling out his country. In Russian.

I mean, I think you're tilting at windmills but if it's how you get your clicks, here's some ammunition.
I might try -- through a dummy account -- @ing those images at some of the bot accounts, using hashtags they're trying to promote.

• 1Interesting
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
For clarity, I was saying 'windmills' at Katheryne. (Not intended as a cheap shot, we all roll in our own ways.)

• 1Thanks

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
“I understood it takes two to three years for a safe vaccine to be developed, so I can’t imagine how they can get a safe one ready early,” said a 42-year-old teacher, who said they would be more likely to trust an “early vaccine” if the government had more competent leadership.

Another person, who also requested to remain anonymous, echoed that view: “I’m not an anti-vaxxer. It’s that I’m an anti-rushed-out-essentially-untested-and-minimally-effective-vaxxer. I prefer proper safety testing protocols and side-effect testing … not this made-for-public-relations farce. I have faith in vaccines, just not one that is beta-tested on me by this bunch.”
I don't disagree with these two. At all!

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I don't disagree with these two. At all!
That was my first reaction when I read it, too, and then I remembered that it's not a question of whether or not I trust Boris Johnson and his government but of whether I trust my local medical practice, which I do, and whether I trust the NHS, NICE, the MHRA and the regulatory authorities in the EU and elsewhere, and yes, I do.

So yes, I trust my local medical practice to follow the best scientific evidence, and they're certainly better qualified to assess it than am I.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
That was my first reaction when I read it, too, and then I remembered that it's not a question of whether or not I trust Boris Johnson and his government but of whether I trust my local medical practice, which I do, and whether I trust the NHS, NICE, the MHRA and the regulatory authorities in the EU and elsewhere, and yes, I do.

So yes, I trust my local medical practice to follow the best scientific evidence, and they're certainly better qualified to assess it than am I.
Me, I trust my doctor, and for the most part, I trust the regulations that govern her practice. But the CDC and the FDA are compromised. I can't say that I trust them anymore, and probably won't until some time after Biden replaces their heads.

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Me, I trust my doctor, and for the most part, I trust the regulations that govern her practice. But the CDC and the FDA are compromised. I can't say that I trust them anymore, and probably won't until some time after Biden replaces their heads.
Until things get fixed, I guess I'll go by what experts outside CDC and FDA say. That may be a bit tricky since a lot of highly respected people are offering information/opinions on the subject though it is not their primary expertise, like Eric Topol. It will take some work.

A recent tweet from Eric Topol:

• 1Thanks

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Until things get fixed, I guess I'll go by what experts outside CDC and FDA say. That may be a bit tricky since a lot of highly respected people are offering information/opinions on the subject though it is not their primary expertise, like Eric Topol. It will take some work.

A recent tweet from Eric Topol:
The UK has been pre-ordering large supplies of all promising candidate vaccines, as must have most other wealthy nations, so everyone will see soon enough what other countries' regulators think of any US vaccine that's given emergency approval by the FDA and the CDC.

ETA

Last edited:
  • 1Agree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Beebo Brink and Sid