Nobody Cares: Gaming Edition

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
30% off all game related purchases is what would keep me from developing purchasable extra content at all ... not that Steam ain't any better there though,... if Apple and Google loose this lawsuit so will Valve... I hope they will be put back into their places.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Steam is in much better position than Apple and Google. There are alternatives in the PC (Windows/OS X) gaming market, and as far as I know they do not tie in-game currency purchases to their stores. The ability of EA to bypass Steam for some titles and the fact that Borderlands 3 sold very well during the window when it was an Epic exclusive demonstrate there is competition in the desktop gaming market.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Steam is in much better position than Apple and Google. There are alternatives in the PC (Windows/OS X) gaming market, and as far as I know they do not tie in-game currency purchases to their stores. The ability of EA to bypass Steam for some titles and the fact that Borderlands 3 sold very well during the window when it was an Epic exclusive demonstrate there is competition in the desktop gaming market.
I know I am in the minoroty but I have not really cared about Steam in ages. Their sales have not been "amazing" in years and they opened Greenlight or whatever and haveassicely diluted the quality of the catalogue. Plus I absolutely hate how they have games up the client itself with cards and badges and the whole marketplace nonsense. I know it's easy to ignore, but I still hate it.

There are just better platforms. GOG is DRM Free and the 2.0 launcher is nice for a consolidated library.

Epic has weekly free games and actually decent sales.

Xbox has cross play buy once play anywhere with the Xbox console and Windows 10 plus a better achievement system.

• 1Agree
Reactions: bubblesort

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
It's worth pointing out that Google already let's people install things outside the Play Store, including Fortnite, which bypasses the cut. So Epic can already do that and sell its addiction-bucks directly. The only thing is that in order to install something from outside the Play store you have to click a pop-up disclaimer that says you're downloading something from an unchecked source and it's your own fault if whatever you're downloading screws up your phone, and Epic doesn't like that.

• 1Agree

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010

EA added in-game advertisements for an Amazon show one month after the release (after reviews have been done). Just wow.

I should be surprised, but am not. EA is nothing like the company they once were back in the day. I still remember their (EA, It's in the game) clips that would run before each game; games that were complete and not just money grabs.

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts

The Ray Tracing for Xbox One and the PS4 is all software based. There are 3 options: Resolution Mode, Performance Mode and Ray Tracing Mode. It's out September 18th for Xbox One, PS4 and the Epic Games Store. It's already out for the Nintendo Switch but without the ray tracing and some of the other enhancements.

Last edited:

bubblesort

I've been waiting forever for Cyberpunk 2077, and I'm not sure I even want it any more. This is a prime example of why I don't preorder anything, ever, no matter how excited I am to play it.

At first, CD Projekt Red said there will be no micro-transations. Then they 'clarified' this statement recently to say that there will be micro-transactioins in multiplayer, but they'll be ethical, or some bullshit. Now they are talking about DLC and expansions, months before the game is even released. Fuck everything about that. Put it in the damn game or don't. Day 1 DLC and expansions is a money grab that I'm not going to tolerate. When I pay full price for a AAA game, I expect to get the entire game, not some bullshit starter pack.

If it's free, I might overlook this. Maybe. IDK if I should trust them not to start trying to sell important parts of the game. If it's not free, I'll probably wait a few years for a GOTY edition, when it goes on sale, if I get it at all. I'll probably just skip all together it if it's sleazy. I love Pondsmith, but I'm not going to support shady business practices.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Fionalein

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I've been waiting forever for Cyberpunk 2077, and I'm not sure I even want it any more. This is a prime example of why I don't preorder anything, ever, no matter how excited I am to play it.

At first, CD Projekt Red said there will be no micro-transations. Then they 'clarified' this statement recently to say that there will be micro-transactioins in multiplayer, but they'll be ethical, or some bullshit. Now they are talking about DLC and expansions, months before the game is even released. Fuck everything about that. Put it in the damn game or don't. Day 1 DLC and expansions is a money grab that I'm not going to tolerate. When I pay full price for a AAA game, I expect to get the entire game, not some bullshit starter pack.

If it's free, I might overlook this. Maybe. IDK if I should trust them not to start trying to sell important parts of the game. If it's not free, I'll probably wait a few years for a GOTY edition, when it goes on sale, if I get it at all. I'll probably just skip all together it if it's sleazy. I love Pondsmith, but I'm not going to support shady business practices.

I did not learn my lesson from preordering Cyberpunk v3 so I preordered Cyberpunk 2077 anyways. But to anyone involved in the Franchise at all it should be clear the whole thing suffered ever since Mike Pondsmith sold out to the man and became a Microsoft employee.

Last edited:
  • 1Agree

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts

If they do it like The Witcher 3 I have no problems with the singleplayer DLC in Cyberpunk 2077. A lot of the DLC was free with a few paid expansions that were only huge side missions. They were more for the completionists than the average gamer. I care nothing for the multiplayer part of Cyberpunk 2077 unless it's like GTA Online.

Last edited:

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I have a strong fear that exotics modifications (the furries of the Cyberpunk2020 universe) might be considered "cosmetic" and thus worth a microtransaction in the CP2077 reboot.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Um, OK...but, will it support XBOX Series X games?

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Microsoft has agreed to acquire ZeniMax Media, the parent company of Doom and Fallout studio Bethesda Softworks, for $7.5 billion in cash. The acquisition follows earlier Bethesda games coming to Xbox Game Pass on console and PC, and it gives Microsoft control of upcoming games like the space epic Starfield. Microsoft says future Bethesda games, including Starfield, will launch on Xbox Game Pass the day they come to Xbox or PC.

The news arrives just as Microsoft is gearing up to launch two new consoles, the Xbox Series X and the Xbox Series S. The companies haven’t confirmed how this might affect the launch of specific future Bethesda games across different platforms, including the Bethesda-published Arkane game Deathloop, which was previously announced as a timed PlayStation 5 and PC exclusive.

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I guess the big question now is will all future Bethesda games be Xbox and Windows 10 exclusives? There are 2 games they are making that are going to be timed exclusives for PlayStation.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010

Sukubia Scarmon

SL Rez
Dunno what I'm supposed to feel about MS obtaining Bethesda. I am still very salty about them and the way they (Bethesda, I should add) started to thread their userbase with lies, deceit and unlimited greed. They're actually the reason why I really hope any gamedev/publisher of games I like won't become successfull. Because time and time again it seems to lead onto the same road. Blizzard as well.
For the record, I LOVE The Elder Scrolls with a passion, and I love Fallout 3.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
OMG YOU GUYS UNTITLED GOOSE GAME JUST DROPPED ON STEAM

And it has a two-player co-op mode

Purchased. ^^

• 1Scared
Reactions: Clara D.