Joined SLU
Dec 2010

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Pretty sure the House could ratify treaties and confirm judges, if given the opportunity. And Would do a lot better job than the current senate.

My point is that the senate is like the electoral college, it reduces representativeness.
I am not sure what you are looking for then? Any of the other branches of government could do the things another one does.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I am not sure what you are looking for then? Any of the other branches of government could do the things another one does.
The Senate is not a branch of govt. but one half of the bicameral legislative branch, which you seem to have claimed is made necessary by the House of Representatives. I wondered why that was. I still don’t know why the House makes the Senate necessary, if that is what you meant.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
It may be carved in stone but it’s not representative.
It's entirely unrepresentative, but good luck trying to change it:

* If your preferred party isn't in power, you are not well represented, even if your local representative is from your party, because their power is greatly weakened.
* If your local representative is from the other party, you aren't represented either.
* Even if your party is in power, and your local representative is in your party too, nothing holds them to their campaign promises.
* Even if they keep their campaign promises, the odds are against you agreeing with them on every subject.

A truly representative system would let you allocate your representation to different people by subject. It would have penalties for reneging on their promises. It would allocate representative voting power according to the number of votes they got, even for 2nd, 3rd place finishers. It wouldn't give some people more power just because they have been there a long time.

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I'm sad that I can no longer find pithy, poignant or precise words to express my absolute disgust at Americans who support this raging fraud.

Please imagine an articulate massive wall-of-text cleverly coming up with new ways to denigrate those too ignorant to know they should be ashamed of themselves for enabling the collapse of this once great country.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
It's entirely unrepresentative, but good luck trying to change it:

* If your preferred party isn't in power, you are not well represented, even if your local representative is from your party, because their power is greatly weakened.
* If your local representative is from the other party, you aren't represented either.
* Even if your party is in power, and your local representative is in your party too, nothing holds them to their campaign promises.
* Even if they keep their campaign promises, the odds are against you agreeing with them on every subject.

A truly representative system would let you allocate your representation to different people by subject. It would have penalties for reneging on their promises. It would allocate representative voting power according to the number of votes they got, even for 2nd, 3rd place finishers. It wouldn't give some people more power just because they have been there a long time.
Yeah, our system is pretty whacked. What I see is the ideal is each voter gets a say in the legislature exactly inversely proportional to the number of voters. You would always have the option to vote on individual bills in the legislature yourself but more commonly people would combine their voting proxies, akin to voting shares at shareholder meetings.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Trump defends doctor who claimed medicine is made from alien DNA and walks out of briefing mid question

So this is where we are now: promotion of quacks while berating our actually qualified top medical and scientific personnel.

In the past, Ms Immanuel has made several dubious medical claims, including the harmful effects of having sexual relations with demons and witches while dreaming, the alleged use of alien DNA in various medicines, and the production of a vaccine to inoculate people against being religious.

"I can tell you this: She was on air, along with many other doctors —they were big fans of hydroxychloroquine, and I thought she was very impressive," Mr Trump told reporters of Ms Immanuel at a briefing on the coronavirus pandemic on Tuesday.
“Nobody needs to get sick,” Ms Immanuel said at a demonstration put on by Tea Party Patriots, a conservative political advocacy group supported by wealthy Republicans. “This virus has a cure,” she said.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I'm sad that I can no longer find pithy, poignant or precise words to express my absolute disgust at Americans who support this raging fraud.
I have something for the whole lot of them:

ETA: Ms Immanuel can have one too, so she can thoroughly study the deleterious health effects of pleasuring herself with one.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Twitter has suspended presidential son Donald Trump Jr. for 12 hours after the younger Trump tweeted a video featuring misinformation about COVID-19 treatment. Also in Twitter's penalty box: Breitbart News, the publication that originally published the controversial video.

Twitter also removed posts featuring the video that were retweeted by President Trump himself, though it didn't suspend the president's account.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Its ratings idea seems to have affected its followers as well. On facebook I came across a meme asking how many of your friends follow the orange turd and how many friends follow Biden.

Status
Not open for further replies.