Linden Lab Is Looking to Sell Off Sansar

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
If I understand one of my FFXIV friends, there are actually standalone headsets for VR now? Sort of like a gameboy for VR....
Don't they just have a PC built into them?

Or the equivalent to a console, like Gameboy.

Andi

Luskwood Staff
SL Rez
Joined SLU
11-04-2010
SLU Posts
Yeah there's like standalone VR headsets now that don't really qualify as PCs.

I'm actually surprised that the company that bought Sansar is trying to do something with it. I figured they would just use bits of it for other things.

In the age of social distancing, virtual events are quickly becoming A Thing. It's a little delayed, but the new company does have an opportunity to leverage Sansar for stuff like that. It wasn't a mistake on LL's part to sell Sansar when they did but what dreadfully unlucky timing.
Thing is, half of the Lindens we knew, went to wookie, like torley, so I would not expect him to have went if they just wanted the back haul.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Don't they just have a PC built into them?

Or the equivalent to a console, like Gameboy.
Well that's it - it's more like a console. A Playstation 4 has a motherboard and a hard drive and RAM and an OS just like a PC, but you don't call it a PC. The new VR headsets, like game consoles and smartphones and other computerized thingamabobs are different from PCs insofar as you're kinda walled into a very specific user experience and can only do or run certain kinds of things on them.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Just got an e-mail: Experience Sansar on mobile!.
Download the free app now.
Seems to be available in the App store and on Google Play.
That doesn't sound like goggles at all.

From the mail:
Experience Sansar on mobile!
Take the party with you. Wherever you go.
We're thrilled to launch Sansar's first-ever app for Android & IOS!
Use it this weekend at Lost Horizon: happening right now in Sansar!
How it works

Stream virtual live events in real-time.
Choose between multiple camera angles. Lost Horizon has 15 to offer!
See your favorite performers like never before.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Well that's it - it's more like a console. A Playstation 4 has a motherboard and a hard drive and RAM and an OS just like a PC, but you don't call it a PC.
You also don't just use the generic "consoles" when referencing what your software runs on. You specify Gameboy or PS4 or XBox, etc.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
You also don't just use the generic "consoles" when referencing what your software runs on. You specify Gameboy or PS4 or XBox, etc.
Yeah but THAT is because most games are console-exclusive; they're released only FOR one or two particular consoles, so that's why the consoles get named. Sansar can be gotten on ALL VR systems, so they don't have to be more specific.

They DO have to differentiate between VR and PC though because not everything that works on a regular PC is usable or accessible in VR, and vice-versa.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Yeah but THAT is because most games are console-exclusive; they're released only FOR one or two particular consoles, so that's why the consoles get named. Sansar can be gotten on ALL VR systems, so they don't have to be more specific.
So Oculus Quest and Playstation VR are the same?

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
So Oculus Quest and Playstation VR are the same?
Playstation VR isn't a system, it's a peripheral for the PS4 :p

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I use the term console, when I'm specifying if I prefer games on a console or on my pc.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Playstation VR isn't a system, it's a peripheral for the PS4 :p
>> AVAILABLE ON PC & VR

There's nothing there about the differences in VR as a system and as a peripheral. Also,

Will Sansar be compatible with the Oculus Quest?

Sansar currently doesn't support the Oculus Quest. There are currently no plans to support it in the immediate future since the Oculus quest is not powerful enough to run Sansar.
But but Oculus Quest is an all-in-one VR system.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Only in the negative I suppose - that game only runs on consoles.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Only in the negative I suppose - that game only runs on consoles.
Since I'm talking about documentation from the developer, we can probably assume they won't be discussing it in the negative.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
>> AVAILABLE ON PC & VR

There's nothing there about the differences in VR as a system and as a peripheral. Also,

There see? There's an FAQ that answers all your questions :p

• 1RuPaul
Reactions: Free

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Speaking of. Here's the description from the Sansar app's page on the Play Store:

Sansar is a streaming app that puts you front and center for breathtaking virtual live events. Experience larger-than-life, highly photorealistic live performances from your favorite artists. Join for massive virtual music festivals. Discover new events every week.

The Sansar app is an extension of the Sansar virtual events platform, a destination for innovative live events on PC and VR.

CATCH EXCLUSIVE LIVE SHOWS. See your favorite artists and performers like never before.

CHOOSE YOUR VANTAGE. Switch between camera angles and stages so you always have the best view.

EVERY SHOW IS A GLOBAL EVENT. Join concerts with fans from all over the world!
Okay so the app will steam live events; it's not a "log in and walk around in your avatar" app.

But, this description gives us some more information about Wookey's angle here. They're not pushing a "creative virtual world" angle, they're pushing a "platform for virtual events" angle. This is definitely a niche that can use filling in CoronaWorld - you can't put on a concert on Zoom, not one that "feels" like a concert anyway. In Sansar you can have a virtual concert venue with concert-y effects and people can attend performances with their avatars or stream them using the app.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Okay so the app will steam live events; it's not a "log in and walk around in your avatar" app.

But, this description gives us some more information about Wookey's angle here. They're not pushing a "creative virtual world" angle, they're pushing a "platform for virtual events" angle. This is definitely a niche that can use filling in CoronaWorld - you can't put on a concert on Zoom, not one that "feels" like a concert anyway. In Sansar you can have a virtual concert venue with concert-y effects and people can attend performances with their avatars or stream them using the app.
It's definitely a niche if you put some production behind it. I have paid to watch two streamed concerts since Corona. They were well produced and done and worth the money. Though they would not have been if it was jut a band on webcams in front of a laptop.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Dakota Tebaldi