Nobody Cares: PRS

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
President Donald Trump has refused to authorize any response after being briefed that Russia was offering bounties for the killing of U.S. troops, according to a bombshell new report in The New York Times.

“American intelligence officials have concluded that a Russian military intelligence unit secretly offered bounties to Taliban-linked militants for killing coalition forces in Afghanistan — including targeting American troops — amid the peace talks to end the long-running war there,” the newspaper reported, citing “officials briefed on the matter.”

“The United States concluded months ago that the Russian unit, which has been linked to assassination attempts and other covert operations in Europe intended to destabilize the West or take revenge on turncoats, had covertly offered rewards for successful attacks last year,” The Times explained.
Naturally:
Trump was offered options to respond, but has taken no action.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
When we're quoting Saddam Hussein, that's when you know we're at a loss for something worthwhile to say.

EDIT: Though it is at least worth a shrug...

Sovereignty

SL Rez
[QUOTE="Saddam Hussein said:]
Politics is when you say you are going to do one thing while intending to do another. Then you do neither what you said nor what you intended.
[/QUOTE]
Saddam must have read Hannah Arendt's The Human Condition in his spare time.

His comment is close to summarizing her concept of action. She emphasized its unpredictability, hence: "Then you do neither what you said nor what you intended."

To her action is the sine qua non of politics. Of course, as far as I know, her concept of politics is peculiarly her own. The bit about lying about what you are going to do seems to be Saddam's (?) own idea.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Naturally:
Trump was offered options to respond, but has taken no action.
Machiavelli said:
BUT SINCE, WITH REGARD to the qualities which were mentioned above, I have now spoken of the most important, I want to discuss the others briefly in relation to this generalization: the prince, as was partly noted above, must think about avoiding those things which would make him hated or despised, and whenever he has avoided this, he will have done his part and will not be endangered whatsoever by the other vices.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Using Machiavelli to describe Trump. There's something seriously looney in that.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Idi Amin said:

Sometimes people mistake the way I talk for what I am thinking.
Of course, lying on the part of either Idi or Saddam is just trying some Machiavellian manipulation.

Arendt would argue that if that manipulation falls within the realm of action (which she contrasts with work and labor) then it falls prey to action's unpredictability. For instance, a lie may work from a superficial point of view, but the consequences will be unforeseen.

Lying on the part of Trump is never Machiavellian. He lies compulsively without the self-awareness Idi demonstrates. If he does not need to lie, he lies. If lying actually helps him, he lies without really considering whether it helps him or not.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Thanks to Kamilah, I read the Wikipedia article on Idi Amin.

He was superior to Trump in many ways.
He rose from the rank of Cook in the King's African Rifles to Lieutenant, and after Independence, rose to the rank of Major in the Uganda Army, which he later commanded.

Of course, he was privileged in that his military career was not impeded by bone spurs.