Where Are All the LGBTQ Meeting Places in Second Life?

RyanSchultz

Social VR/Virtual Worlds Blogger
Second Life has seen a resurgence of returning users in recent months, as a result of the imposition of social distancing policies, lockdowns, and quarantines in the face of the ongoing public health crisis that is the coronavirus pandemic.

I recently received an inquiry from someone returning to Second Life after an absence, who asked me:
You seem nice and knowledgeable here: I have been on SL 15 years ago or so, and would now like to return and find gay places, ideally catering to bears and chubs. But that’s not a mandatory at all.
I just wondered whether you know a place that’s a little busy – all places I went to were deserted.
Thank you so very much in advance!
Now, this is a puzzler for me. When I first set foot into SL fourteen years ago, I used to frequent any number of gay bars, fun places that were packed full of avatars. Over time, many of those places had closed down.
When I replied that there used to be a couple of spots for bears (i.e. chubby or overweight gay men, usually but not always bearded and/or hairy, hence the name “bears”), but that they had long since shut down, he replied:
Thank you very very much, you’re my star – not easy finding one’s way here nowadays with so many places deserted!
Are there any other places where simply a lot go gay guys go, also non bears?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
So, I thought I would broaden the question to include spaces welcoming to all LGBTQ folks in Second Life, and throw the question out to you here on this forum:

Where are the places in Second Life where lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people can gather and meet each other? Please note that I am not talking about the places where you go to have hookups or sex (God knows, those are easy enough to find!).

I will compile all the responses received as updates to a blogpost I am writing here (Question for My Second Life Readers: Where Are All the LGBTQ Meeting Places in Second Life? ), and I will keep this blogpost updated as new information comes in about community spots, since they tend to change over time.

Please feel free to submit your ideas to this thread. Thanks in advance for your help!

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I've been to a couple of events put on by Chiaroscuro, which according to their group description is:

"A Mature GLBT (gay,lesbian, bisexual, transgender) friendly Elven sim. We welcome all races, species and orientations and fully accept all kinds of adult relationships. This means we have wonderful freedoms here to be cherished and protected. We welcome any consenting sexual orientation without cricism or discrimination including straight. Chiaroscuro is the play of dark and bright. This group chat is used for roleplay and chatting please use, no spaming please.
Laugh, love and have fun! "

OrinB

tutti fruitti
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
The best place to start is joining some of the "gay event groups" eg: GAY PARTY CENTRAL OF SECOND LIFE; GAY List. Mainly these groups spam music/dancing events in SL at various locations. Once you know where these locations are, a lot of them have shopping and rental communities. In general SL hangouts aren't as numerous as they used to be. There are still the ubiquitous sex locations, but to be honest i've met some of my best friends in SL at these places, without even having sex! :eek:

The SL pride group - "Second Pride Festival" is full of people and events across a diverse range of LGBTQ people.

Some relevant places in the destination guide LGBT Friendly in Second Life :

Spurt Beach is another destination with a mall, events and clubs.
Oost west is a bear community with rentals, events and a few shops.

There are really lots of places. It's a matter of talking to people and finding where you fit in. There is no one place fits all.

Bea McMahon

Sister Jazz
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
In general SL hangouts aren't as numerous as they used to be. ..
There are really lots of places. It's a matter of talking to people and finding where you fit in. There is no one place fits all.
This is the crux of it. When I joined - in May of 2007, still in the big rush of free accounts - there were lots of new folks, and lots of places to hang out. That's changed. As Orin point out, you now have have clubs that are the focal place of communities - clubs and residential mixed, with maybe shopping. And those clubs are deserted unless there is an event going on.

• 1Like
  • 1Agree
Reactions: OrinB and RyanSchultz

RyanSchultz

I've been to a couple of events put on by Chiaroscuro, which according to their group description is:

"A Mature GLBT (gay,lesbian, bisexual, transgender) friendly Elven sim. We welcome all races, species and orientations and fully accept all kinds of adult relationships. This means we have wonderful freedoms here to be cherished and protected. We welcome any consenting sexual orientation without cricism or discrimination including straight. Chiaroscuro is the play of dark and bright. This group chat is used for roleplay and chatting please use, no spaming please.
Thanks for the reminder about Chiaroscuro, I had forgotten about them! I used to attend some amazing events there back in the day.

Maitimo

mostly 'armless
SL Rez

I love Chiaroscuro (and I admit a bit of bias here, as I'm a close friend of the owner and I'm a group officer). However, Chiaroscuro has just one event per week, at 2pm on a Saturday, and the rest of the time it's largely abandoned except by Greville, who lives there. It's a lovely place to explore alone, or with a friend, but sadly it's not a regular "hangout".

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
My dance club FABGlitter caters to the LGBTQ community, but as it's also a women's club, it actually sort of cuts that group in half at the same time...

• 1Like
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

RyanSchultz

Good suggestions, all, keep'em coming!
(My similar post on the SL Community Forums is not getting much response at all.)

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Just an aside, but it would be really nice if LL would do something to encourage hangout sorts of places - I'd love to make something, but really cannot justify the expense.

OrinB

tutti fruitti
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
Just an aside, but it would be really nice if LL would do something to encourage hangout sorts of places - I'd love to make something, but really cannot justify the expense.
We generally hangout at home these days. Many of my friends have their own islands or rent various spaces around the grid. So we hangout there. I think the land pricing changes for small islands and therefore renting of those has really taken a toll on just - hanging out. Even partys and events are way more silent than they used to be - more's the pity!

All of the old hangouts that i used to spend time at that weren't sex places have been sold and are now filled with AFK sex bot spaces!

I need to check in world again, but there were a few region areas of amazing landscapes - Land of Rainbows was one. that would still be classed as hangout spaces. But i just think people have changed and moved on.

Plus all our time in world is spent fending off appliers, mesh head issues, and BOM layer crises!

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Land of Rainbows was one. that would still be classed as hangout spaces. But i just think people have changed and moved on.
Looks like it's gone. I found a breedable store at that LM. 😿

OrinB

tutti fruitti
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
Looks like it's gone. I found a breedable store at that LM. 😿
Yeah i thought as much. I've not seen or heard much from Khavy, who built it, in ages.

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
I'd better chip in on the Lesbian venues. Personally I prefer Trans-friendly lesbian venues, but some lesbian venues are rather trans-unfriendly. I also prefer Lesbian venues that have some butch presence. I consider a lack of butches to be a sign of a less-than-Duchess-quality Lesbian venue.

The best Lesbian venue in SL was The Duchess owned by VVO's very own Beebo. Sadly the Duchess is defunct, though there's a tiny bit of it left as a memory.

Most, but not all of the Duchess refugees ended up at The Lesbian Teahouse, which has a no-trans rule...which isn't enforced. I'm not the only transperson who goes there. If you're well behaved the owner ignores your presence, and it helps that I'm known amongst the Duchess oldbies there. Silks

You'll also see some Duchess refugees at our very own Ellen Cordeaux's E-bar when the E-bar has events. The e-bar is usually empty otherwise...CC sadface. Calabaza Island

The Bohemian Embassy/A Woman's Touch's owner says she's trying to get some of that Duchess vibe, but it's usually empty: AWT Park Place

Zue Nightlife: City Plaza

The D/s Lesbians tend to be at the Secret House, which is group only, but tends to be busy. The group fee is L$1000. I sometimes popped over there before they went group only just to say hi to friends I know who frequent there even though I don't do D/s. Arrowhead

Venustus is BDSM: Mataiva

Eden used to be known as "Sisters of Eden", they used to have a regular DJ lineup: The Seduction

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I'd better chip in on the Lesbian venues. Personally I prefer Trans-friendly lesbian venues, but some lesbian venues are rather trans-unfriendly. I also prefer Lesbian venues that have some butch presence. I consider a lack of butches to be a sign of a less-than-Duchess-quality Lesbian venue.

The best Lesbian venue in SL was The Duchess owned by VVO's very own Beebo. Sadly the Duchess is defunct, though there's a tiny bit of it left as a memory.

Most, but not all of the Duchess refugees ended up at The Lesbian Teahouse, which has a no-trans rule...which isn't enforced. I'm not the only transperson who goes there. If you're well behaved the owner ignores your presence, and it helps that I'm known amongst the Duchess oldbies there. Silks

You'll also see some Duchess refugees at our very own Ellen Cordeaux's E-bar when the E-bar has events. The e-bar is usually empty otherwise...CC sadface. Calabaza Island

The Bohemian Embassy/A Woman's Touch's owner says she's trying to get some of that Duchess vibe, but it's usually empty: AWT Park Place

Zue Nightlife: City Plaza

The D/s Lesbians tend to be at the Secret House, which is group only, but tends to be busy. The group fee is L$1000. I sometimes popped over there before they went group only just to say hi to friends I know who frequent there even though I don't do D/s. Arrowhead

Venustus is BDSM: Mataiva

Eden used to be known as "Sisters of Eden", they used to have a regular DJ lineup: The Seduction
There is also Pammy's, which is female avatar only home rental with a joined club: Silverdale Pointe not striclty LGBT only but clearly targeted at lesbians and trans-friendly

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
BRING BACK DWELL!

There's damn few ferrets in SL, gay or not. Foxes, wolves, dragons, rabbits, the most popular mustelids seem to be otters. :ferret:

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
BRING BACK DWELL!
But but but. Tekki Wikki FIC or something. ;-)

There's damn few ferrets in SL, gay or not. Foxes, wolves, dragons, rabbits, the most popular mustelids seem to be otters. :ferret:
I see Wolves, Foxes, Ferrets and various cats more than anything else.

• 1Ferret
Reactions: Argent Stonecutter